Chapter 36: Laelia - Art

Start from the beginning

"Of course I do." Not thanks to you, I add silently.

I frown. He is really attractive.

My mind tells me that I should leave as soon as possible, but something tempts me to stay. I wouldn't be able to walk out through the door of this place, as I have no idea where I am. I can't leave through the secret passageway. A brilliant idea passes through my brain: alternatively, I have to bore him so much that he wants to leave immediately which would allow me to leave the way I came. The best way to bore people is to talk about yourself. People never want to hear about someone else, but they do want to talk about themselves.

"I have had a few hundred years of the finest education. I have actually written a thousand-page essay on the health issues related to King Ardam's conquests. I did meticulous research on the subject. It took me ten years to write. I still had to do my normal lessons at the same time, which is quite an achievement - if I must say it myself. No one has ever done such extensive research on the subject. I think it is my best work so far. I've also written an essay on -," I stop midsentence. My scowl deepens.

He doesn't look bored at all. In fact, the grin on his face might make me believe that this is the most fascinating conversation he has had in millennia. "You are trying to get me to leave because you entered the hall through the closet. The mystery would be how you got into the closet."

Thunder.

"Before you start ranting, I know this because I saw you coming in. Why, of all the places those cursed tunnels could lead you, it had to be here and now, not even the most powerful seer would know."

He continues despite my look of pure astonishment. "Yes, I know about Raven's Peak's maze of tunnels and traps. Luckily, I've only had the privilege to see one of the tunnels for myself, but I know they are connected to the vaults and the dungeons. The dungeons I have seen only once - a horrible place."

He reads my thoughts before they pass through my brain. "You would have heard me coming in, but I was already in the room. I was just preparing to start my task before you came in. When I heard the crash in the closet, I decided that it was a good idea to remain hidden - in case a thief was breaking in. You are obviously not a thief, because no thief would stop to admire the artwork. It would be very difficult to steal and sell the paintings in here, in case you were wondering why I am here," he continues.

"The thought never crossed my mind," and honestly it didn't. I was too worried about myself. Which begs the question of why he, Khairrim Cadeyrn, would be in a human city and at this hour. There are no clues for me as to why he is here. Knowing I am defeated, the smirk stays plastered to his face. "Why are you, Second of the Council, here?"

"I've come to admire the artwork." The definite lie is obvious in his voice. "I've actually come to prepare this hall for tomorrow's recruitment of the Second Order."

"Is this still Raven's Peak?"

"The city, yes, but the castle, no."

"Oh. Then where?"

"A non-noteworthy distance away from the castle; at one of the other noble families' mansion."

"What does preparing the hall for recruitment mean?"

Like the sun smiling on water, the playful glint in his eyes flares up.

"Everything and nothing! I have got to clear out the artwork, and set up the arena and spectators' benches."

"That sounds like an impossible task for one person."

"I'll have it done before you could finish reciting the timeline of the Elderlight and Darkwood conquests. That shouldn't be too difficult for you. You said you had an excellent education, and that I know to be true."

I don't believe that he'd be able to do all of those things in such a short time, and thus I start reciting the timeline that I know off by heart.

As I start, he walks toward the centre of the wall, coming to a standstill, and then he looks at me and smiles broadly. I hear the rush of water, and a stream rushes in from a door I did not notice until now. It rushes toward him. For a moment I fear that it would knock him out, but then it encircles him, forming a thin wall surrounding him. A sphere of water tears from the rest and levitates above his head. A burst of golden light erupts from within it, leaving us in a light brighter than the day.

I realise that I have stopped reciting the dates and, not remembering the last date I recalled, I start anew.

The water stretches out into slender limbs, reaching for all the paintings in the room. It swallows the paintings and they completely disappear from view.

I gasp and he winks at me.

It forms a large oval pool at his feet,  reaching inside itself and pulling out log benches. They are placed around the hall as the water whirls out.

By this time my jaw is on the ground and I have completely stopped speaking.

"How on the Council did you do that!" I exclaim in wonder.

"I'm of the Council, remember."

"Still, I've never seen anyone do that with water."

"Oh, my dearest! I can do a lot that you have never seen."

"Are you trying to impress me?"

He lifts his eyebrows: "Are you impressed?"

"No, I am not impressed."

His face falls.

"I am overwhelmed."

The smirk again: "Even better. What about the history you were reciting? Does this mean I won the bet?"

"We didn't bet on anything."

"I did. As you can see," he lifts his open hands into the air and turns around once, "I'm not taking anything with me that doesn't belong to me. The paintings aren't technically with me and they'll be back up once the recruiting is done."

"What did we bet on?"

He heads toward the door, which I now notice is just next to the closet that I came in from. "You owe me a dance. I'll claim it tomorrow at Raven's Peak's feast." The friend of my family leaves without giving me a chance to protest his demand.

I go back to the closet and get my candle, lighting it from one of the candles on the wall. The space that I fell in through is still open. The wall reappears behind me as I enter. These are indeed strange secret tunnels with a will of their own. I manage to find my way back with little difficulty. The wall closes of its own accord as I step into my room. I'm grateful that I didn't spend the previous hour or two on the uncomfortable bed awaiting me.