Distracting The Distraction

Start from the beginning

"Now I repeat my question," Alfie gripped my forearm, his thumb rubbing gently across my scars. "Is there something I need to be worried about?"

I offered him my usual grin. "Of course not. I haven't done that in a long time, Alf."

He didn't look convinced. I moved, cupping his round cheeks in my palms. "I promise I have not hurt myself in that way for a long time and if I go back to that place, you'll be the first person I call."

Alfie gave me a soft smile. "Okay. Just know that I'm always here for you. Even though it's been a while I still care about you Ace. Above everything else, you are my best friend."

Unable to stop myself I wrap my arms around him and without hesitation he returns the embrace. The comfort was greatly appreciated. I hadn't realized how much I needed it until I was receiving it. It also helped that Alifes hugs were the best. Due to his height, it meant that he always towered over you and wrapped himself around you in a way that felt like he was harboring you from the big bad world.

"Thanks, Alfie," I whispered into his chest.

He kissed the top of my head. "Anything for you Ace."

A deep growl had us pulling apart. Across the hallway Logan, Elliot and Malik stood watching us. Logan looked slightly pissed, Elliot seemed jealous too and Malik if anything looked amused.

Simultaneously the pair of us spun around facing my locker. "Avoiding Elliot?" I asked, pretending to fiddle with my bag.

"Yep." He replied. "Avoiding Logan?"

"Yup." Our stares locked.

Then we both burst out laughing. There was nothing funny about the situation we were in but for some reason we felt a lot better about it.

"Alfie," A voice said from behind us. Our laughter died and the pair of us sighed. Turning slowly, Alfie offered an obviously fake smile whereas I didn't even attempt to pretend I was happy they were here.

"You're avoiding me." Elliot said, staring in the direction of my friend, "And you're also stalking my Instagram."

Alfie blushed heavily. "I don't know what you're talking about."

The beta raised a brow before getting his phone out and showing us all the notifications of likes from Alfie's account. "No? I just sneezed and accidentally liked your post?"

I took the phone from Eli's grip and scrolled through it.

"All of them?"

"I had the flu."

A smirk curled at my lips. "Oh, and you commented 'damn daddy,' on all of his selfies? What happened there? Did you slip and headbutt the keyboard?"

"Ace!" My friend scalded, doing a great impersonation of a tomato. I grinned at him teasingly. I was well aware of what had happened the night of the party.

Elliot had originally just wanted to distract Alfie long enough for Logan to dance with me but eventually, they both became entwined with each other.

Always touching, always staring, and always smiling. In the end, Alfie had passed out on top of Elliot. I don't know what happened after that but something clearly did for my friend to avoid someone. Alfie got along with everyone and rarely ever disliked someone enough to blatantly ignore them. I'd have to ask him about it later.

Alfie slapped my chest dragging me back to the present. "You're supposed to be my friend and back me up."

I chuckled. "I am your friend but do I have to remind you that I lie for a living. I'm sorry but I have to call out your shitty excuse, a baby could have come up with something better than that."