~~part 20~~

The boy parked the vehicle in its spot in the garage and got out, Ivy getting out as well. They walked in and made a beeline to the kitchen. The girl sat at the bar while the pink-and-black-haired boy stood at it. "So why haven't you been at school?" Gustav asked to break the awkward silence between them.

"One of my uncles died last Wednesday... it's been hard but it's easier to talk about for me now, my dad on the other hand, not so much. He's still pretty messed up about it." Gus nodded and scratched his nose.

"Well, uh... you want something to drink?"

"Sure. Water will do." The male teenager walked across the kitchen and grabbed a red solo cup for the package.

"Ice?" Ivy nodded in response. He filled the cup with ice and water, handing it to her. "I'll be right back."

Gus walked into his room and grabbed his phone from his white bed sheets. He walked back into the kitchen and saw Ivy surrounded by girls. It was Layla, Gracie, Anna, Grayson, and Maddie. He decided to let them talk about whatever they were talking about and walked to Bexey, Horsehead, and Tracy. They stood in a broken circle, all having a red solo cup in their hand. Gus awkwardly stood next to Tracy. "Oh hey, Peep. We were just talking about you," Bexey said with a smile, raising his cup to the boy.

"Heh... yeah." Gus scratched the back of his neck out of nerves. "So, how're you guys? I haven't really heard anything from you, Chris."

"Yeah, I haven't really had time to talk much to people 'cause I've been busy with my music. People started texting me the other day to ask if I was dead or something." They all shared a small laugh. "But yeah... sorry about that."

"It's good. We all got things we gotta do." Gustav said his goodbyes and condolences to their careers and walked around to see everyone was enjoying themselves. He turned to Ivy who was sitting alone on her phone, scrolling through social media. He walked back to her. "What were the girls talking to you about?"

"Just me not being at school and if I was okay."

"You are okay right?" Gus asked, leaning back slightly.

"Yes." She laughed as the boy nodded and got back to his original stance. He sat at the second barstool. "So... where'd you get the new phone?"

She motioned toward the X Max on the countertop. "My other screen busted since it fell on the floor in Science after you left the day of the fight." She nodded. "Is it okay if I keep walking around?"

"Yeah, it's your party, don't let me distract you." Gus smiled and kissed her head. He walked off and realized what he did. Why do I do things like that? Ugh whatever, Imma just own it.

He walked onto the back porch to see his mom at the grill with Baylee, laughing and helping take/remove food from the grill. "Hey, mama."

"Oh hey, you're back!" She hugged him and got a kiss on the head from her teenage son. "Can you take this inside and tell people the food is almost ready?"

"You know I suck at public speaking." Liza just rolled her eyes with a small laugh. Baylee laughed as well. "Can I just ask Layla or Ivy to do it?"

"I don't care how you do it just do it, sweetheart." The pink-and-black-haired boy took the platter of food and walked back inside, placing it on the counter.

"Ivy, can you tell people the food will be ready shortly?"

"Yeah." She cleared her throat. "Can I have everyone's attention, please! Thank you, the food will be ready shortly so if you all could make your way to the kitchen, Ms. Womback would appreciate it. Thank you for your cooperation!"

Gus just looked at her. "And that's why we get along. 'Cause I ain't ever gonna be able to do that."

Ivy just chuckled and smiled at the boy.

The boy saw people start to gather around the bar and in the kitchen. His mother and Baylee walked in with even more food. They put it down. "Everyone, I would like to thank you for coming to Gustav's surprise party--even though it wasn't much of a surprise since he has one every year. However, we still appreciate you coming. We have hot dogs, burgers, salad, cheese dip, and chips. There are also sodas and punch to drink. The punch is ginger ale mixed with peach sherbert and the sodas range from Diet Coke to these weird Japanese sodas Gus has stored away in the fridge. What're they called again?"

"Shirakiku's, mama." She nodded and people laughed. 

"Anyway, more food is on the way but you can go ahead and form a line around the island."

↟↟↟

"Hey, Gus, do you wanna go somewhere tonight?" Ivy asked as she picked at her salad. The boy looked at her, wiping his face for anything he may have had left from his burger.

"Sure." He swallowed. "Where do you have in mind?"

"Like somewhere for dinner then somewhere I can get you a present."

"You don't have to get me anything. Forgiveness was all I asked for and I already got that." He took a drink of his blue raspberry Shirakiku.

"But I want to." She smiled. "What's something you want? Wait no, I know what I'm gonna get you."

"What?"

"It's a surprise. But we can go anywhere you want to eat, my treat."

"Okay... how about Panera Bread? Or this really good Sushi bar? Do you like Sushi?"

"Not particularly. Do you like Poke Bowls?"

"I don't even know what that is."

"Well, how about this. We go to Panera Bread tonight then like next weekend we go to the Sushi bar and the Poke Bowl restaurant my dad always takes me to?"

"Sounds lovely... like you." She just chuckled and blushed. 

Gus was glad he had gotten her back.