~~part 7~~

Gustav and Ivy sat down at the back middle table of the class. Much like the last two periods, they sat alone. "So, what did you guys do last week?"

"We're just finishing an essay or something like that. I finished so like... I can help if you'd like."

"How long does it have to be and what on?" Those were the only things Ivy needed to know where she could start.

                                                           ↟↟↟

The pink-and-black haired boy had pulled out a book after Ivy put in her earbuds. He had his book between the table and his lap and his phone in the crease of the book. He was reading about this guy that had attacked a pregnant woman with a knife in Pittsburgh. People these days.

He rolled his eyes but finished the article. What else are loonies up to? Bombing the Eiffel Tower because of a damn spider?

He chuckled quietly at his thought. He scrolled through Google News until three articles caught his eye.

Kentucky Governor: 'We're getting soft' for shutting schools down due to subzero temperatures in North US.

The man police say was caught on video punching two women turns himself in.

Jailed for 41 days for having heroin. It was only detergent—part of a wider scandal.

"News is almost as stupid as people," Gus muttered to himself, scrolling down more. "Wow..."

Mother dies after falling down subway stairs carrying 1-year-old daughter

He read it more in-depth and made a content/interested face. "At least the baby's okay..." Gus looked at Coach Stoops, who was looking straight at him. "Sir?"

"What're you reading, Gustav?" Gus held up his book, glancing at the cover.

"The Woman in Black. It's okay, but I feel like the characters could be-"

"I meant on your phone." Gus turned red.

"News... about this lady dying from falling downstairs with her daughter." Coach just looked at him. "Yeah, I read sad stuff. Probably part of my depression..."

Gus scratched his head like an ape again. Ivy looked at him with a smile. He made a weird smile back. She giggled. Coach Stoops held out his hand. "Give me your phone for the rest of the class and that's a warning." Gustav stood and walked to the teacher's desk, handing him his phone and going back to his seat.

He looked at Ivy's computer and she was almost done with the two-page essay in 50 minutes that some people couldn't even finish in two days. Ivy saw him looking and looked at him. She took out an earbud. "Yes?"

"Just astonished by the fact you can finish an essay so fast. You siting sources?"

"Don't need to. I'm just rewording it, it's not that hard really." She pulled up one of the PDFs she was using. "I write a lot so putting something in my words is like as simple as chewing gum and walking."

Gus just looked at her blankly. "It's difficult at first but the-"

"I know what you meant but like... you're lovely." Ivy's eyes got big and she blushed, looking away from the boy. He zoned back in. "Sorry... I have random moments like that a lot. It's a side effect of my bipolar meds."

"You're bipolar?"

"Kinda. My meds calm it down where most people can't tell. I also have narcolepsy but like... I don't need meds for it since it only keeps me up some nights." Ivy nodded. "Can we talk about something else. I feel like you know more about me than I do you."

"Oh... well, I live with my dad and he has a bunch of friends that I call aunts/uncles but they're more like siblings sometimes. My dad has kissed a guy before but no one knows that-"

"Why would it matter," Gustav interrupted.

"It matters since he's like... well known."

"Famous?"

"I wouldn't go that far. He, Alex, and Matt are just more known for their music rather than them themselves. If that renders correctly." Gustav nodded.

"It makes sense." There was a pause. "What's his band?"

"The Chainsmokers." Gustav stopped, looked at her, and blinked.

"Yeah, I don't know who that is. Sorry." Ivy shrugged.

"We all have different taste in music. It's good." Ivy smiled while looking down. "What are some bands you like?"

"Red Hot Chili Peppers, Gucci Mane, Blink-182, Pierce the Veil, Radiohead, Underoath, Oasis, uh... Three Days Grace, Avenged Sevenfold, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy-"

"You like MCR, Panic!, and Fall Out Boy? I love them!"

"Me too!" They looking into each other's eyes with big smiles. "What about Slayer?"

"Love them too. And Three Days. Pierce the Veil is great too, do you like Black Veil Brides, Sleeping with Sirens, or anything like that?"

"I've heard like three songs from Sleeping with Sirens, but I haven't heard of Black Veil Brides." Ivy smiled.

"Lovely. I have backstage passes for Warped Tour this year and my dad bought an extra. Wanna come?" Gustav shrugged.

"As long as I'm not cheating anyone out of a pass, sure," Gus said. He thought. "When?"

"This summer. Like June." He nodded and that ended the conversation. They went back to what they were doing, separately.