Chapter 21: The Changes

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

-Nathaniel Branden

Lucia Salazar's POV

It had been exactly six weeks since I came back from Spain. Since that night that we're together Diego and I were inseparable. In my apartment or his, it became our routine to sleep on the same bed. Being with him like this was nothing but pure happiness.

Sometimes I woke up early to see his sleeping face. My hands itched to caress his handsome face while he sleep soundly. But I couldn't do it, I fear that the gesture would wake him. So I settled just to study his face when he was unaware. When we're sleeping I couldn't move an inch away from the bed since his strong hand was securely placed in the flat of my stomach.

He said that I hated it when I slid off to bed first to fix our breakfast. Since practically living together we settled into this domesticated life. I even terminated my contract with a housekeeping agency that provides a person who cooks, cleans, and does my laundry. Diego told me that we should do this together like any other normal couple.

I never expected that living with him would be like this. He taught me things to other people might be basic necessities in life but not for me. Growing up having everything at your fingertips this new experience was surreal for me. Diego thought me how to buy for my pantry from vegetables, fruits, what good cut of meat should I purchase, and many more. I could also now do my laundry and even clean my table after eating.

Heck, even that creepy stalking thing had stopped since I came back. I was never happier with the flow of my life now. But Diego reminded me to always put my guard up he's not still totally convince that stalker was now fully out of the picture.

I will not let that stalker damper my happiness. A budding carrier in the fashion industry with the man I've always wanted on my side even though our relationship is a secret for now. This might be good for us anyway, away from the prying eyes of society.

Living far away from the estate away and from the powerful name of my brother where my family name here bears no importance I was pretty happy.

But this morning was not like any other I feared that something had changed in me. While I was busy fixing our breakfast it seems that something had upset my stomach. I want to be sick early this morning.

I gulped back the bitter saliva in my mouth. Why does my empty stomach rebel early this morning? I asked myself silently, trying to calm my breathing.

"Are you all right, Lucia?" The concerned voice of Diego sounded in the silent kitchen. He just finished his shower, his air was still damp I couldn't miss the anxiety in his eyes as he stared at me.

I nodded, trying to speak without throwing up in the sink. "I'm fine, silly. It seems that I ate something last night that didn't go well with my stomach."

He closed the distance between us in a few strides. His hand touched my cheek tenderly. "You're so pale. Maybe I should take you to the hospital and have a proper checkup for your condition. Why don't you lay in bed for a moment?"

"I'm fine, Diego," I reassured him while fighting off my nausea. Despite my denial suddenly in the past few days realization hit me like a speeding train. It couldn't be...

How...I started, I didn't even know what to think about. Goodness, this can't be happing to us. We were careful always, for heaven's sake...Oh, wait a moment.

I silently groaned when I remember our first time. He just took me to an innocent romantic getaway in the estate and I mischievously seduced him I recall not that we didn't use protection that night.