Chapter 3: The Job

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

-Unknown

Lucia Salazar's POV

"So..." A female voiced floats in the silent room. "...how's the Sicilian wedding you attended this weekend?"

I sighed deeply. I looked at the newcomer who entered the room where I was working to finish the bridal gown that needs to be done two weeks from today. I saw a red-haired woman wearing a mischievous grin on her freckled face. She's Amelia Winters, my assistant. "Good morning too, Summer."

The grin on her face widened considerably. She moved farther inside the room, placing one of the coffee cups on the table. "I brought you coffee. I know you need one today." She leisurely sipped her coffee. "From the look on your face, I gather that you didn't enjoy your trip in the beautiful town of Sicily. Such shame I've heard a lot of stories about Sicilian weddings, you know, about lots of dancing and parties."

"No," I answer in a clipped tone. I focus my gaze on the mannequin as I placed pins to hold the fabric together. Honestly, since my sudden trip to Sicily I need to catch up with my work or else I won't finish this on time.

"A bet it wasn't a good reunion between your brother." The mocking in her voice made me look at her with narrowed eyes. She's my assistant and also my good friend since she started working with me almost a year now we developed this genuine friendship.

A gave a fake laugh. "It was a tearful one, believed me."

"I can see," she chuckled, her blue eyes twinkling. "So eager to go back to Paris, I am expecting you to come back at least next week at the earliest. I thought you might want to spend more time with your family. But here you are back in Paris so keen to be away from your family."

I sighed again, avoiding her knowing gaze. "I just had enough of their meddling, that's all."

"I knew it!" Amelia exclaimed; she leans on the table with her elbows resting on the wooden table. "I am dying about this juicy story, Mademoiselle. Tell me, are they pairing you to the most eligible man they know? From what you tell me before, it seems that your friends and family are getting married one after another."

I snorted, shaking my head in disagreement. "Technically, there aren't my friends but more of my sister-in-law's close friends. And for the record, they certainly not pairing me to the 'most eligible bachelor' they know as you put it."

She eyed me closely; the way she looks at me was a little bit unsettling. I don't think I like the way her eyes focus their gaze on me. "Something is telling me that there's more to this wedding you attended than meets the eye. I bet my one month salary that something happened there than you let me know. I can see from your actions." She studied me for a moment. "You are a little bit tense."

"Nothing happened," I answered immediately. Amy raised an eyebrow in my direction with a knowing smile on her face. She knew that I cannot hide my emotions very well and she's aware of my current problem about the stalking thing that's bothering me lately. I sighed deeply and confess. "Okay, so I had a chat with my brother at the wedding."

"I knew it!" The red-haired woman cried out. She pulled out the stool and sat in front of me eager to hear about my encounter with Leandro. "Tell me all about it, little princess."

I threw a dry look in her direction. She's also aware that my older brother Leandro is part of the Spanish aristocracy that's why she's calling me 'little princess' as part of a private joke between us. "Sorry to burst your bubbles but it wasn't an exciting chit-chat. In fact, it was frustrating."