Chapter 15: Change Of Heart

Katniss

Five years. Peeta and I have been married for five years, it all still feels new but a good new. We've had a great few years together, we've also had not so great times, ones with arguments and fall backs from the past that we don't think will go away, my nightmares are still often and so are Peetas flashbacks but they're not bad and violent, he just clutches something firm and sterdy until it's over but it's never longer than about thirty seconds. I still have my nightmares that Peeta wakes me from, reassures me that everything will be okay and that he's safe, that I'm safe which reassures me enough to go back to sleep in my arms but it's rare for me to have more than two nightmares in one night, I only have about three in one night if it's real bad but other than that it's just two or one which we can live with, well what we've learned to live with.

Along the way Peeta and I had a fair amount of arguements but they never get out of hand because either him or me will approach the other and it eventually gets talked out. We've learned that communicating is important if we want our marriage to last so we've agreed that if we ever have a fight or argument that we don't leave the house and it's actually worked, it has made our marriage more solid. We like taking night walks aswell, even in the nipping cold, we just play around in the snow like we're children and not adults, Haymitch calls us crazy but we don't care in the slightest because we know us together makes him happy and obviously we don't care what he thinks.

The whole Gale and Rory relationship has been resolved, it took Peeta breaking up their arguement for them to start really fixing things, Peeta got them to both look at each other then talked to them about how they're family and that they need to sort themselves out. It made me happy that the both of them were able to eventually move on, it makes Gales visits much more pleasant for everyone and not to mention, Hazelle can finally enjoy having Gale stay with her without having to stop arguements between the two boys.

I last year had to scowl at Peeta who one day left with nothing to the bakery and returned later with a small baby dog, he said a little girl were selling them and he wanted to help her out, he bought a fucking dog, he named the girl dog Willow after the tree in the meadow we love. Buttercup wasn't too happy and hated that he had to share his house with another creature but now they're like best friends, surprisingly, it also turns out that Willow doesn't actually hate me, in fact she's a very cuddly animal towards me, much to my surprise although she's grown and it's not exactly comfortable when a medium sized dog wants to sit on your lap.

"You know, I'm starting to think Willow likes you more than me" Peeta says sitting on the floor against the couch, Willow spread out and left no space for Peeta, I chuckle and run my fingers through his freshly cut locks

"Well, Buttercup still likes you more than me. We're even now" I reply, using my free hand to scratch behind Willows ear

"Hm... I guess. I can tell she loves you" Peeta grins and I roll my eyes at him

"She's lucky she's cute. I would've never let you keep her" I say and he chuckles

"Lucky her. She fits in well with us though. I'm happy we have her" he replies

"So am I. Thank goodness that she's a good listening dog and doesn't misbehave, you really did well with picking her" I admit

"I know... she's a good dog" he says, reaching around and patting her, what I like most about having Willow is that I can take her out hunting and the entire time she stays by my side, always looking around as if she's ready to pounce if anything were to happen or something dangerous could happen to me, she doesn't run after the animals either and she's just all up great company hunting which always gets her rewarded. People gave curious looks at the sight of a dog by Katniss Mellarks side, it must be odd because I'm not a big animal person but I am a big Willow person.