Start Again

Annora P.O.V

   I pushed the finished paperwork aside and looked up at Chrystal. She stood in a beautiful full length light blue dress that matched her sparkling eyes. Her blonde hair was twisted up into a bun with a few strands framing her face. Her face was done up in make up and she wore high heels. She smiled brightly at me as I stood up, picking up some books to put away.

   "Say that again please," I said as I moved to a bookshelf, putting the books away.

   "A dance. We are having a celebration. What do you think of my outfit?" She did a spin. I looked her up and down. The dress hugged her nicely, not tight but enough to give her shape. The collar was thick and acted like sleeves in a graceful manner.

   "It's stunning," I said, voice sounding not too amazed.

   She frowned. "What? Is it-"

   "It's amazing," I forced my voice to sound happier. I smiled at her reassuringly.

   I picked up a piece of paper and walked out of the room, Chrystal following me, her heels clicking with each steps. I passed doors and turned a hallway until I reached the room I was looking for. I knocked before opening the door, seeing Fabian asleep on his desk, paper covering it and books laying open. He had a pencil in his hand and he was drooling. I put the paper next to his hand and quietly left the room, closing the door on my way out.

   I sighed when Chrystal walked up next to me, hands behind her back and an expectant look on her face.

   "Yeah?" I asked, rubbing my stinging eyes.

   "I want you to come. To the dance. Please," she blinked rapidly at me.

   "Sorry. No." I shook my head. "I'm tired, I don't have a dress and it's too late notice."

   "We can get you a dress really quickly."

   "Chrystal-"

   "C'm on!" She grabbed my wrist and pulled me along after her, dragging me to her office. On the way she told someone to bring dresses to her office for me.

   Along the way we passed Arlen and I waved helplessly at him. He smiled brightly and waved back. Eventually we made it through the winding hallways and stairs to her office. Mirrors lined the right wall and there were five racks of dress. Most of the furniture was pushed up against the left wall with a changing wall in the corner, leaving the view from the big window visible. My eyes widened at the sight of the dresses.

   We paused in the doorway, Chrystal finally releasing her vice grip on my wrist. Maxfield came bounding through the door.

   "I heard you were trying on dresses," Maxfield said to me. "Can I help?"

   I shook my head. "I would not be comfortable with that."

   "Can I help pick out some dresses at least?"

   I shrugged. Chrystal went to the racks and started looking through, Maxfield next to her in a second. I sighed and turned to leave the room, catching the eyes of Valdemar and Rafael as they were passing the hall. They changed their course and walked up to me. They took a look in then looked back at me.

   Valdemar took a drink from his flask, before smiling his fangs at me. His pail skin caught the light in a way that made him look paper white. His black hair covered lots of his face, but his red eyes still met mine. He turned me around and put an arm over my shoulder.

   "What's up?" He asked.

   "They're picking a dress for me."

   "Why?"

   "There's a dance."

   Rafael stood on my other side, back straight with his hands held behind his back. His light hair covered his shoulders and he spoke without looking at me or Val.

   "Did you not hear about this, Valdemar?"

   "Nope," Val answered, smirking.

   Rafael turned his head slightly, to show Valdemar his disappointed face. His light green eyes met mine and he smiled.

   "Were you not aware of this either, Annora? " He asked in a much nicer tone to that of when he asked Valdemar.

   "Not at all. Chrystal only came and told me about it a few minutes ago. I had just finished all of my paperwork."

   "Well done. Does that mean you are going back to fighting with Nicandro?"

   "If he wants to, yeah," I shrugged lightly.

   I looked back at Chrystal and Maxfield, who each had  a few dresses in their arms. My shoulders sagged as I realised I would have to try on a lot of dresses.

   "I wish Nicandro was here," I muttered as I stomped up to Chrystal and took a dress, before going behind the changing wall.