Chapter 1

I always thought my family was perfect. My opinion has changed. I now know that my family has many secrets- and a few enemies, too.

I'm sure you would like me to tell you what happened. I mean, this book is about it. So I'll start the story. From the very beginning.

One Friday at school, I sat down at my third period class desk. The class is English. Not the best, but not the worst. I mean, can anything really beat science? And plus, the teacher of English is a mean old lady who calls everyone Mister or Miss. OK, back to the story.

Usually on Fridays we take a test to review the small book or the chapters from a book that we have read that week. But this week was different. Because it's near the end of the school year, we had the big tests all week that took up the whole period so we didn't get to read any books this week. So my teacher was handing out textbooks for us to do a little reading from.

She passed by my desk and dropped off the heavy book, giving me access to quickly skim through the book before we read it as a class. I barely glanced at the words, just giving the pictures a small look before turning the page. But before too long, I started noticing that about every third paragraph was highlighted with yellow highlighter. I got a little curious.

I started reading a few of the lines. I found it a little odd how whoever did this kept highlighting everything about death. I mean this is a book about the plague, so there is a lot of death talk. 

Once I reached the end of the book, a small, rectangular, light red note card fell out of the back of the book. With the book still open I picked up the card. In black pen, it read:

Meet me 500 meters in the woods tonight at 12 P.M, Sofia Davis. If you don't, you and everyone you know will die. Don't question my ability to do this. You better come. I'm warning you.

While in shock, I let the book slam shut, and the note card fall to the ground. How did this person know my name? Is it someone from the school? Was it the teacher? I mean, she knew what book I was going to get. 

Everyone looked at me after the loud noise. "Ms. Davis. Is there a problem?" Mrs. Jansen asked from the front of the room with a snarl. 

"No. No problem." I quickly answer while picking up the note card and stuffing it in the back pocket of my jeans.

"Good. Class, please turn to page three."