Chapter 3

The note says: I figured you are going to try to be sneaky and bring someone along with you. If I'm wrong, then good, you are one step closer to my good side. If you are thinking about what to bring, I'll help you with that. All you need is a shovel. By the way, I hope you haven't told anyone about this.

Sincerely,

Anonymous.

I stare at the note card. Same handwriting. Same writing utensil. Well, it could be a different pencil, but it's still a pencil. So all I need is a shovel. Well, I guess I have nothing to do until about 11:00. I guess I could enjoy time with my mom and my dad once he gets home.

...

It was a long dinner. Technically it wasn't because it only took us 20 minutes to eat, but it felt way longer than that. After dinner, I went back up to my room and I finished my book. While my parents were playing poker with the Clafers, I snuck down to the basement to grab a long rope, a ladder, and a meter stick.

I bet you're wondering why my parents have a long rope in the basement. I mean, this isn't some spy movie where my parents have everything you could think of in their basement because emergencies could happen. OK that was confusing. What I'm trying to say, is my parents have basically anything you could need to escape a house in the middle of the night. Not like I've ever done this before. They're just prepared for just about anything.

I sneak back up to my room and drop the ladder out of my window as quietly as possible. Then I hang the rope down my window as well. I leave the meter stick by my bed. I grab my mini backpack and stuff some random things in it. I have to make it look like I'm actually going to Jenna's house. Then I walk out of my room and close the door behind me.

I walk down to the dining room, where the adults are playing poker. I walk over to my mom.

"I'm going to leave now." I smile.

"OK. Do you need me to drive you?" She asks taking a moment from the game.

"No I'm alright."

"OK. Call me if you need anything."

"I will." I walk out of the house and over to the ladder under my window.

I assemble the ladder then walk up the ladder and throw my backpack into my room. It barely lands inside. Then my hands grab the rope and I start to climb up into my bedroom.

For a few hours, I am as quiet as I can be. I don't do much. I just work on some school stuff quietly. But finally, after the Clafers left, and my parents are in their room, the clock ticks 11 PM.

I change my clothes into all black. Black leggings, a black tank top, a black hoodie covering up my bare arms, and black converse. I pull my hair up into a messy pony tail. Right as I'm about to climb out my window, I realize I forgot about the shovel. I silently scold myself before thinking about what I need to do.

If I'm digging, I can't be digging that far, can I? I look at the clock and realize I wasted too much time. I grab the meter stick and drop it out the window.

I climb down the rope, and when my feet reach the ladder, I climb down that. I grab the meter stick and walk to the woods, which is about a mile away.

After I realize that I am taking too long, I start to run. I measure 500 meters in the woods, once I arrive. At first I don't see anything at my destination. But then I see a big red X on the ground and a note beside it.

The note says: Dig here.

I get down on my knees and start to dig.