Thirty-Four

Two months later.

After incessant letters and calls from Thomas Shelby, I've decided to meet with him. In public, with no alcohol.

"I'm proud of you." Ruth hugs me as I walk into the kitchen, dressed and ready to go.

"Thanks, Ruthy." I smile, hugging her tight. "Still shitting myself. I've still barely forgiving him for that stunt he pulled two months ago, showing up unannounced like that." I shake my head and she nods, giving me one last squeeze before holding me at an arms length away.

"And I know you'll hate me for asking, but is Ralph driving you?" She asks and I shrug.

"He should be, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tom showed up himself." I say and she nods. "Be ready for him to stay the night, just in case." I wink and she blushes red.

"Yeah, yeah." She waves me off as there's a knock at the door.

"Saved by the knock, Rubes." I smirk. "Love you." I kiss her cheek.

"Love you more." She says and I head for the door, swinging it open.

"Need a piss." Ralph rushes past me. "Hi Ruth, sorry." He brushes past her and towards the bathroom.

"He's a mess." I laugh.

"Proper cute." She whispers, her cheeks blushing red.

"Go kiss him." I nod towards the bathroom and she flushes red, but does as I say, waiting for him outside the bathroom.

"Ruth, hi-" I hear Ralph say before there's nothing, and I assume that's because Ruth laid one on him. "I-" There's another pause. "I've got to go. I'll be back later, yeah?" There's another pause. "I'll probably sleep on the couch." There's a low murmur and they both giggle. "Or that, sure. I'll be back." I hear them kiss once more, quite loud, before he turns the corner, beet red as I smirk at him. "Shut up." He walks past me, picking up my bag and going to the car.

"You two are cute." I comment once we're down the street.

"She drives me mad, Flo." He shakes his head. "Proper like her."

"We've been mates for as long as I can remember." I nod. "She had her heart broken over the war, but she's ready to love now. She's got a good job, and as long as you don't take her from London just yet, she'll be able to patch up your cuts after fights. And I know she'll love it. She's a Small Heath girl, we all love a bad boy." I sigh and he takes my hand, giving it a small squeeze.

"You're the best, Flo, you know that?"

"Yeah." I nod. "Remind me that when I get out of this meeting too, yeah?" I ask and he laughs a little.

"I'll be sure to."

-

Thomas is there before I am, because of course he is. He's got a glass of whiskey in front of him and a cigarette lit between his lips, puffing as he reads papers. Working. Of course he is.

I approach the table with my arms crossed.

He doesn't look up.

I cough and he glances up, taking his glasses off.

"Florence, you're early."

"Thought we could get this over with." I sit and look around for a waiter.

"Gin and tonic for the lady!" Thomas shouts and not a moment later, one is placed on the table.

"Of course." I sigh, but pick it up, taking a large gulp. I'll need it to get through this meeting. Even if I said no alcohol. "Why am I here?"