Eighteen

"Look at that." I say to Michael, gripping his hand as we pull up to the lush church that Grace picked out.

"Come on." He says, parking the car and we both head into the church quickly finding seats next to Karl, Ada and Finn.

"You look lovely." Ada says as Michael plays with Karl.

"Cheers. You do as well. Love that hat. I was debating between a hat or a headband." I say and she nods.

"He seems to like kids." She nods towards Michael and my face drops. "Got it." She nods and I smile, pinching at Karl's little legs as Michael swings them over the bannister in front of us, and I look over to Finn, who's standing proud, making faces at Grace's family, Irish members of the British Army. John will have a field day at dinner, I can already tell. I take the hymn sheet from the man that's handing them out, and pass them to Ada, Michael and Finn, we're all required to sing, Pol's rules.

Our side of the church is loud, but I was expecting it. John and Esme's baby was born only a couple of weeks ago, so she's here and crying away, Johnny Dogs down at the end of the pew is flirting with girls, and great, Michael's just lit a cigarette.

"What's the time?" I ask Michael, reaching into his jacket and pulling out his pocket watch. "She's fucking late. I swear if she doesn't show up, I'm going to hunt her down myself." I scoff, taking the cigarette out of Michael's mouth and placing it into mine as I put the pocket watch back into his jacket, letting out a puff of smoke before passing it over to Michael, who puts it out on the bottom of his shoe as bells start to ring. She must be close. I straighten up as the choir starts to sing.

"In the bleak midwinter" The choir begins and Michael and I grimace.

"They're awful." He whispers to me with a chuckle.

"Oh my God, they're tone-deaf." I giggle back and Isaiah hits us both in the back of the heads.

"They're the best ones, as well." Isaiah says, a smirk on his face and Michael and I lean into each other even more, giggling away until the doors open and I hear Grace and her uncle, I believe, walk down the aisle, and I slap Michael's chest, forcing him up and to relax. Polly will have our heads if we're laughing while Grace goes down the aisle. But it's just Jeremiah and we give him a nod as he walks down, much to the distaste of the British Army men across from us.

I look down at Thomas, who's staring right at the door and even though I know he can't see me, I give him a little smile. I'm overjoyed for him. Today is going to be great. I know it.

"Here come the fucking Cavalry. Late as usual." John say as "Here Comes The Bride" starts to play and I grip Michael's hand as Grace walks down the aisle, my eyes not leaving her as she walks with confidence, even though I know she can see fuck all under that veil.

"I like the dress."

"Thanks, I screamed at her to get that kind made. She was going to go for one that was puffy. I said that was the fit. She didn't doubt me." I say, crossing my legs, and linking my arm through Michael's as we watch Grace and Tommy's ceremony begin.

-

"I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss your bride." Jeremiah declares and the lovely couple kisses as our side of the church blows up into cheers for the two of them as they face their crowd of family.

"What do you think of all of it?" Michael asks me quietly as we wait with the rest of the family to take a photograph outside of the church.

"Of what?"

"Marriage."

"It would be a small wedding, considering all the people I give a shit about are standing on these steps, but I think it's nice. Marriage." I kiss his cheek. "We could swing it, I reckon." I say and he pulls me closer.