Twenty-Three

"So?" Thomas asks Pol once she's let go of my breasts, and I've tossed the tea out of my cup.

"Not pregnant." She says and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. "Don't seem too relieved." She says and I roll my eyes.

"It's not that I'm relieved, it's that I don't think I'm ready. I want to have kids with Michael, it's just that I don't know if I'm grown up enough to do it."

"You're a tough girl, Florence. You're ready for anything." She pats my cheek and goes upstairs, leaving Thomas and I in her living room.

"You've got us up at six for that shit." He shakes his head.

"Well, I don't understand why I can't sleep then." I say and he nods.

"Maybe you're not far along enough." He suggests and I shrug.

"Pol could be wrong, as well." I say and he nods.

"I'm always right!" Pol shouts from up the stairs.

-

"Where've you been?" Michael asks, as I walk into his office and I shrug. "Hello? Where were you? I've been looking everywhere?"

"I went to Thomas', I couldn't sleep." I say and he nods, hugging me.

"You look shattered, love." He rubs a hand up and down my back.

"I'm exhausted, but I can't sleep." I say and he pulls away from the hug, looking at me. "I had Pol check if I was pregnant, but I'm not late, so I think it's too early to tell." I whisper and his eyes widen.

"We might have a fucking kid?" He whispers, a grin growing on his face.

"Yeah, we might have a fucking kid." I nod and he kisses me.

"Holy shit." He says, putting his forehead against mine. "A fucking mini us." He smiles. "Imagine that."

"It's a dream." I smile and he kisses me again.

"Should we go make sure that you are with child?" He whispers and I smirk.

"I'll tell Thomas you're taking me home because of how tired I look." I wink and turn, leaving his office and going to Thomas. "Michael's taking me home because of how tired I look." I say and he stares at me.

"You'll be shagging, then?" He says and I sigh.

"How can you always tell?" I ask.

"I know what its like to be a teenager in love. Go on, Florence." He says. "I'll get you from your house when I need you."

"Today?"

"Today, yes. In a few hours, try to get some rest." He nods, lighting a cigarette and I leave his office.

"He can always tell when we're leaving to fuck." I shake my head, entering Michael's office.

"It's a bit weird, that he knows, right?"

"Yeah." I nod. "He said it's because he knows what it's like to be a teenager in love."

"Was he?" He asks, putting his jacket on and I nod as we walk out of the office.

"Thomas was in love with a woman named Greta. She died and three days later, Thomas signed up for the war. His brothers followed suit, as did mine." I say as we walk down the street.

"You've told me that." He nods. "Just forgot." He takes my hand. "I love you."

"Yeah, I love you too." I kiss the back of his hand.

-

"Fuck, fuck, Michael." I moan as he speeds up.

"Look at me." He says and I pry my eyes open, making eye contact with him, and he holds my neck and our foreheads touch before he kisses me.