Friends

"Would anyone like to help me skin the boar?" Della slipped off the noose from the boar's neck. She dragged its carcass home for dinner. "I will help you, Della! I have some extra knives." José opened his bag and took out a small briefcase. "Here's my collection of knives in order of smallest to biggest. The bigger ones may be more helpful."
Della was astonished. "You have a knife collection?! You're my new best friend!" Della giggled softly.

José laughed. "Who knew knives were the way to a senhora's heart?" Della and José discussed knives while everyone else sat on logs around an unlit campfire waiting for dinner. An awkward silence stirred in the atmosphere. It was time for someone to address the elephant in the room.
"Can we all agree that this is a little weird? Even for me.." Launchpad said.
Everyone nodded, breathing out a mental sigh of relief as the silence was broken. "What took you so long to figure it out?" Louie said sarcastically.
Panchito looked at Della and José. "It makes no sense. Della and José hit it off so easily. What do you think about our situation, amigos?"

"If we made a big deal about it, it wouldn't even matter. Della wouldn't care." Louie scoffed. "Our own mom doesn't know who we are."
"It's not her fault!" Webby interjected. "She likely hit her head when she crashed and lost her memory. Don't blame her for it! I'm sure she'll get her memory back soon."
Huey closed the junior woodchuck guidebook he was reading. "If her memory loss was temporary then she would have regained her memory by now. It's been 12 years Webby." He snarked.
Webby sighed.

Dewey put his head in his hands. "We have to get her memory back!"  

Huey sighed. "How?" 

"Hit her hard in the head with José's umbrella." Louie said blankly.
The three ducklings (and Panchito) shot Louie a look of annoyance.
Panchito scratched his head. "I wonder if José can use his black magic to fix her.. but to me, it seems like José is enjoying this 'new' Della."

They looked at José and Della bonding over skinning a boar. José's ungloved hands were covered in blood. Dewey cringed.  "The scary part is that our mom is getting along so well with uncle José. A guy we just met yesterday."
"What makes her so interesting?" Panchito grumbled. "No offense!" He said quickly to the duck triplets.

"I wish I knew, uncle Panchito." Huey said.

                                      ~ ~ ~
"How does the boar taste, guys?" Della took a big bite of a boar leg.
Huey looked at his plate, questionably. "Usually I'd question it, but it's been a rough day. I'm going to eat this whole piece." He munched on his share of boar meat. The greasy juices ran down his chin.
"Wow! I've never had boar, Della! It tastes just like pork!" Webby gobbled her meal right up.

Della chuckled. "If you think that's good, wait till you try goose!"
Webby gulped. "Um, what?"
"I think it's amazing, mom." Dewey smiled like a sweet obedient son.
"I thought my name was Della?" Della tilted her head. "You can call me mom though if you think it's a cool nickname."
Dewey stood up and hugged Della. "Thank you, mom."
Della awkwardly patted Dewey's head. "Yeah, you're welcome, sport!"

Donald watched with glossy eyes. He finally saw his nephew and his sister embrace for the first time. The only problem was that Della didn't even know the significance of it. Donald would get frustrated if he thought about it. Even if it wasn't her fault that she was an idiot now. He was starting to consider hitting her in the head with José's umbrella.

"That dinner was magnífico!" José rubbed his stomach. "Muito Obrigado, Senhora Della." He winked. Della chuckled. "You were a big help too, José. I know a lot about knives now! Thanks, dude!"                                                                                                                                                                                         José smiled warmly at her as he felt a fuzzy feeling grow in his chest. 

"Is your spear named Selene?" Webby asked. Della shook her head. "It doesn't have a name. I only named my pet tiger, Trina!" Trina came running out of the jungle and laid beside Della. She purred as Della scratched her furry belly. 

"Why did you name her, Trina?" Huey asked. "When we first met she was attacking me until I climbed a tree to safety. I tamed her and somehow got the name 'Trina'." Della looked affectionately at her feline companion. "She's my best friend."                                                                         Louie almost laughed but held it in to avoid getting a slap from Huey. "So, um, Della," Huey cleared his throat. "How did you end up in this place?"                                                                                         Della scratched her head. "Gee, that's a good question," Della sat up straight, ready to tell her story. "Long ago, probably before you little creatures were born, I found myself stranded on an empty beach. There was rocket wreckage ALL over the place. I had no memory of what happened or where I came from. Only the natural instinct to survive. The universe was telling me to stay alive.." 

Dewey was very intrigued by her story. "Was there anything left in the wreckage?" Della sighed. "Not a thing. Not even a single picture to help jog my memory."  Huey had an idea. That's it!  They could show her the picture of Della, Donald, and Scrooge in front of the unhatched triplets and see if it helps. He had to pray that Donald had the picture on him and would let him use it. 

"Over the next few weeks, I learned how to hunt, start a fire, build a hut, and other important survival tricks." Della continued. "I've fully adapted to the environment around me."                              "That explains why you look like a cavewoman from the dinosaur age." Louie said.                              "Ooohh your mom is so cool, guys!" Webby fangirled. "Now I see why José spent all that time researching her!"                                                                                                                                                                      Della arched an eyebrow. "He what?"                                                                                                                         José looked at the ground, nervously twiddling with his fingers. "Ah, you know, that part is not important, Webby dear..."                                                                                                                                                  Webby nodded her head. "Yes, it is. It's how you got us here! Your dedication to Della paid off!" José was sweating buckets. 

Della was surprisingly touched. "You... You did that just to see me? That would normally sound creepy.. but I've never had a-" She closed Trina's ears. "An actual talking friend before... it gets so lonely on this island... you know what I mean?"                                                                                                      Crickets chirped.                                                                                                                                                                    José pretended to understand. "Um, yes, uh, of course."                                                                                      Della smiled. "I just wanna say thank you, José for everything you've done." She got up from her log to hug him. José sat still for a second until he hugged her back. "Well... de nada, Della.."

Della pulled away and looked at everyone. "I would like to thank all of you. I can't imagine the journey you took to get here... You guys are all my friends." Della smiled big at the group. 

There was silence as everyone looked at Della. How naive she was. It was a touching moment though and nobody interjected. They enjoyed the sentimental moment while it lasted.   

See y'all again in 50 years