giggle at a funeral

Start from the beginning

"Did something happen?". Grace, their mother, wondered why all of the children were gathered in the rain with miserable looks on their faces.

"Dad died, remember?" Allison turned to face her mother, concern washing over her features.

"Oh yes, of course," Grace's face returned to its empty expression.

"Is mom okay?" Allison directed her question towards Diego, everyone knew Diego had a soft spot for their mother.

"Yeah, yeah, she's fine. She just needs to rest. You know, recharge," Diego turned to his sister, answering the question.

Pogo hobbled closer to the group, "Whenever you're ready, dear boy".

Luther clenched his jaw and looked at the urn he was holding in his hands and with a steady hand he removed the lid.

Sophie watched her father's ashes as they fell down in a straight line, creating a grey pile on the ground. She couldn't help but feel angry as she stared at what was left of her father. She felt something wrap around her foot and noticed a vine slowly crawling around her shoe. Taking a deep breath, she shook her foot and the vine vanished. Luckily, no one had noticed.

The rest of the siblings were either staring at Luther, or the pile of ashes.

"Probably would've been better with some wind," their Number One commented.

"Does anyone wish the speak?". The chimpanzee looked around at the group. Everyone avoided eye contact. Sophie picked at her nails.

"Very well. In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreeves made me what I am today. For that alone I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master, and my friend and I shall miss him very much".

Sophie's heart went out to Pogo, she could sense the sadness radiating off of the chimp.

"He leaves behind a complicated legacy-"

"He was a monster". Diego interrupted Pogo, he was staring at the ground. He wasn't bothered if any of his sibling's disagreed with him. he had to get this off his chest. From the edge of the semi circle Klaus let out a laugh.

"He was a bad person and a worse father. The world's better off without him"

"Diego." Allison warned her brother, no matter the circumstances, now was not the time.

"My name is Number Two. You know why? Because our father couldn't be bother to give us actual names. He had mom do it"

Upon hearing her name, Grace addressed the group, "Would anyone like something to eat?"

"No, it's okay mom," Vanya's voice chimed from under her umbrella.

"Oh, okay"

Sophie sent a pointed look at Five, they were both thinking the same thing. What was wrong with Grace?

"Look, you wanna pay your respects? Go ahead. But at least be honest about the kind of man that he was," Diego had moved to stand in front of the group, his back to Luther.

"You should stop talking now", Luther defended his father.

Diego turned to face the large man. "You know, you of all people should be on my side here, Number One".

"I am warning you."

Five looked up and caught Klaus' eye, this was not going to end well.

"He had to ship you a million miles away. That's how much he couldn't stand the sight of you!". Diego's voice had risen to a shout.