Chapter 20: Official

Start from the beginning

"I think I hate him," I whisper my throat scratchy and dry.

"Hate him? Honey you're in fucking love with that kid. It makes me so mad because last night you had convinced yourself that love doesn't exist because you said Landon doesn't love you and your dad doesn't love you. I was ready to dig your dad up from his grave and set him on fire and then drive all the way to North Carolina and set Landon on fire."

"You're such a good friend."

"Yeah, I'm your best friend. Somehow I feel like this is my fault. If I wouldn't have left you alone at that party that night Landon wouldn't have given you that -"

"No it definitely wasn't your fault. Landon would've still come over. His keys were at my house. It would have happened."

"There is a such thing as love. Don't let the stupid actions of your father and Landon make you think there isn't."

"I made him break up with me. I put pressure on him. I shouldn't have expected him to love me back. "

"Honey..."

"Can I stay here today?" I ask changing the subject quickly. I didn't want to think about it anymore. It had been two days since I'd spoken to Landon and the conversation didn't exactly go as I had wanted it to. He had been an asshole about the entire thing and it had pissed me off so much. He pissed me off so much.

I really just wanted to strangle him. I wanted to take my belt and tie it around his neck and strangle him. I was so infuriated. Our last conversation had unexpectedly turned into an argument and it was mainly his fault. He had to tell me he missed me. He had to give me false hope of us ever getting back together and then dash it.

I sighed and closed my eyes. "I'm gonna go back to sleep. I feel like shit."

"You look like shit. Get some sleep, I'll make us something to eat." She stood up from the floor where I lay and trudged out of her room. I narrowed my eyes at the ceiling and think back to the phone call.

"Landon," I spoke once I had answered the phone. He had kept his promise to call me back later that night and it gave me a little hope.

"Kayla," he retorted emotionlessly.

"Landon, you act like you don't want to talk to me."

"Kayla we're broken up. I don't."

I ran my hand down my face and then glanced forward. "Gee thanks. Why are you being an asshole all of sudden? You were just telling me how much you care about me and that you don't want to hurt me."

"I don't, but sometimes you have to be mean to get results."

"What kind of fucking results are you trying to get? Are you trying to make me hate you again? So I won't love you -"

"You don't love me. I'm not a good guy. I'm a fucking player. You don't deserve to be in a relationship with a guy who's only been in a serious relationship with his hand. I don't love you."

"I don't care at this point I just want to be with you. Stop making this difficult. I thought about it and I'm fine with waiting -"

"Kayla. Stop, love doesn't exist. Stop trying to force me to admit to something that's unreal. How am I supposed to trust your 'love' for me with Hunter hanging on your fucking coat tail?"

"Is that what this is about? Hunter? Fuck Hunter. I just told you I loved you Landon. Hunter is nobody."

"Right," he snorts in disbelief.