Chapter 12: Playing for my best friend II

Start from the beginning

"Ms. Takahashi!" She was my old piano teacher, but now she's like the aunt that I never had. Other than my mother, she ignited the potential that I had for playing the piano.

"I told you to not call me that! It makes me feel old..."

"Sorry, sister..." She's in her early 30's but never looks a day over 25 so she expects me to call her sister.

"No problem, Kaede. Looks like you've done all your makeup! My sister is so independent! I remember when I used to have to put a bit of lip gloss and blush on you!" I laughed hesitantly. "Anyways, you're fourth on the list. What are you planning to play?" I had thought about it for some time and, funny enough, I figured out what song to play last weekend. I whispered the song into her ear. "Such a Kaede choice... You really have not changed..." We both laughed and headed backstage.

I saw the other high schoolers preparing for their performance. There's always a stressful and anxious atmosphere in these spaces, but I never let it affect me. I put on my earbuds and listened to music pretending to play the piano with my fingers. I can't wait to play this song... All I want is for him to get my message through this song.

"Ugh!" I felt my head pounding causing me to drop onto the floor. I was tightly gripping onto my head until the pain suddenly disappeared. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around me. Don't tell me I'm having that dream again...  "W-where am I?" I'm inside some classroom, but it's so dirty. There are vines growing off the walls and grass growing on the ground. I stood up and turned around. "This is the locker I came out of in that last dream!" Then I saw shuffling in the second locker. I slowly walked backwards scared of what might appear. When the door suddenly opened, Shuichi fell out. "Shuichi!" I ran and kneeled down to help him up. He was in a weird get up. It was like a school uniform, but completely black. I looked at my outfit and realized that I was also wearing a school outfit, but the top was pink and my skirt was covered in musical notes. It's like this outfit was made for me. As he stood up he looked at me confused.

"W-who are you?"

"What do you mean? It's me, Kaede!" Suddenly, his body disappeared and my world became black. No, don't do it again. I don't want to have that dream again! I quickly clutched onto my head and my throat making sure I could breathe.

Suddenly, I opened my eyes breathing heavily. "Kaede! Are you okay?!" I slowly sat up looking at Ms. Takahashi.

"It's over..." I said groaning.

"You had that nightmare again?" I shook my head. Ms. Takahashi was the only person who knew about the dream I used to have. It started ever since my parents died and she wanted to take me to a therapist, but they came once in a blue moon. Luckily, ever since school started I've never had it again.

"How long have I been out? Did the show happen already?!" I panicked, but she shook her head.

"You were out for an hour, there's still 20 minutes before the competition." She fixed some strands of my hair. "Your makeup is ruined... Do you want to see a doctor?"

"N-no... I'm fine. I don't know what happened, but I feel normal. It was a different dream this time."

"Okay... Let's quickly fix your makeup then and you can tell me what happened." I sat at one of the makeup booths. I really do look like a mess. She quickly washed my face and fixed me up while I told her the vision of my friend, Shuichi, and our weird outfits. When she finished I looked into the mirror grinning to myself.

"You never cease to amaze me, sis," I said grinning. She put on eyeliner, a darker shade of lipstick than I had before, and fake eyelashes. I look really good!

"Oh I know, honey. Anyways, I forgot to mention that some people were looking for you outside." I thought about my friends and stood up to exit backstage, when she grabbed my arm. "Before you leave, Kaede, let me know when you get that same dream again, okay?" I smiled nodding my head and eagerly entered the gigantic hall where guests hung out before the doors to the theatre were opened. Suddenly, two little girls went up to me with amazed eyes.

"It's Kaede Akamatsu!"

"It's really you!" They were both jumping up and down in excitement. "We're really big fans of yours! We can't wait to watch you play!"

"I've been playing the piano ever since I watched you! Please take our flowers!" I was speechless. I've had a couple adults and children come up to me complimenting my performance, but to have fans? I gladly took the flowers smiling at them.

"Thank you so much for this. You'll have to play the piano for me next time." They both nodded and ran off to their parents.

"Wow, are we friends with a celebrity?" I turned at that familiar voice and saw all of my friends. I walked up to them holding the flowers to my chest.

"Hey, guys!"

"Kaede, you look so pretty!" Mikan complimented.

"Thank you, Mikan."

"You really look professional, Kaede," Maki quietly said. I thanked her and looked around. Where's Shuichi?

"I hate standing! Can we go into the theatre already?" Kokichi whined.

"Wait, what are you holding, Kokichi?" Kaito asked.

"I just bought some snacks. I can eat in there, right?"

"Y-yeah and the doors are open already." They all eagerly walked into the theatre.

"Good luck, Kaede! We'll be cheering loudly!" Tenko exclaimed giving me two thumbs up. I stood there waving at them and once they were clear of view I searched for Shuichi. I tried to look for my phone.

"I left it backstage.." When I was about to go back, I looked up and saw Shuichi. He was wearing a white button up and black pants. He wasn't wearing his cap and his hair was gelled back. He held a bouquet of roses. My eyes were completely wide in amazement. Is this my imagination? I saw the gazes of other women following his path towards me. "Shuichi! You... You look..."

"You don't have to say... Kokichi and Kaito forced me into this outfit." I was confused. Why would they make him wear this? "I got these for you, though." He handed them to me looking away blushing. I took them and immediately hugged him tightly. After a few seconds I felt his arms wrap around me and I felt warm in his embrace. I opened my eyes to see several people staring at us. I let go holding the roses to my chest with the flowers.

"Thank you so much, Shuichi. These are beautiful and you look great!" He looked at me turning slightly crimson. His face had disbelief on it.

"I think this is a bit much..."

"Maybe, but I definitely think you look dashing. Like a modern prince."

    "Does this prince have a princess?" He had such an innocent smile on his face causing flutters in my stomach and steam coming out of my head. W-what does he mean by that?! We both jumped at the sound of the speakers.

     "The 25th annual piano competition will begin in 5 minutes. All pianists, please be backstage and all guests, take your seats."

     "I guess that's my queue to leave," I said nervously. He nodded and headed inside the theatre. I returned backstage and ran into Ms. Takahashi.

     "There you are, Kaede! Okay, are you ready?"

      "Like always, sis." I gave her a grin. She gave me a big hug and left to check up on other people. I took a deep breath and waited. The first girl is called up... The second boy just left... "Mother, father... I know you're watching up there... I plan to make this one special. It's for my friends... Especially for my closest friend who's been my biggest supporter even after a couple weeks of just knowing me."

     "Kaede Akamatsu, please take the stage."

Uploads every Monday, Wednesday, Friday