Chapter 32: Laelia - Raven's Peak

Start from the beginning

"Will we join Faolan and Elorhim?"

I know that we should, but I feel compelled to explore the city on my own first. This city calls to me.

Aedan looks at me, his eyes filled with mischief. "I know what you are thinking, Laelia of the family Darkwood."

"And I know that you are thinking exactly the same as I am."

"There should be another gate to the east."

I push Swift Wind into another gallop and Aedan follows me as the distance between us and the others grows.

We slow down when we are near the gate. I do not see the guards that should be posted at the gate. My guess is that they are slacking in their duties. The gate has a wide arch and is the height of about two horses. I know that it is one of the three smaller gates leading into the outer ring of the city. Our company will enter through the main gate.

We tie our horses to a pole just inside the city. I can't help but notice that the streets are quite empty. Aedan pulls me forward when he thinks that I am staring too much at the humans we encounter. At other times it is my turn to pull him forward. We find ourselves drawn to a market that captivates us with its difference from what we are used to.

I rush to the first stall. "Aedan, look!"

I pick up a loaf of bread and want to take a bite, but then I remember that humans have to pay for goods. "How much gold for the loaf?"

"Ten copper cents."

I take out a piece of gold. "I do not have copper, so you can keep the gold."

The old man blinks in astonishment and his bent back doubles over in a spontaneous bow. "My lady! Thank you! Thank you!" He reaches out to my hand and grabs it before I can pull it away. He kisses my hand.

My widened eyes observe him as I  take a bite of the loaf. It tastes different from the bread that I know. I like the taste, but the bread is a bit stale.

After Aedan buys another loaf from the grateful man, we rush from stall to stall. We buy one of everything. The weight in our stomach grows and our arms grow full with new trinkets and other paraphernalia. When we have satiated our curiosity at the market we move deeper into the city.

After more than four hours I realise that we have to join our company again. "Aedan, in which direction do you think the castle is from here?"

I am not able to orientate myself. The streets wind and turn, confusing my sense of direction. "I am not sure at all, but I know how we can find out," I tell him as I walk to the nearest wall.

"Laelia, we can just ask and we need to get our horses."

"I know, but I really want to see the city from above."

"We will ask the prince to accompany us to one of the towers."

I sigh as we retrace our steps back to the market, and then back to the gate. At the same time, we freeze in our steps: the horses are not tied to the pole where we left them.

"Aedan, Faolan will crucify us."

Somewhere I once read that a few humans use crucifixion as a punishment. I also read that it is a slow and painful way to go. It is the first method of torture I can think of that Faolan would consider inflicting upon us.

"Elves do not use torture, but I think you are right. Faolan will make an exception for us." Aedan's face is whiter than a  full moon.

"I will ask the guards if they have seen anything," Aedan tells me.

I nod and watch him walk to a rope ladder hanging from the tower at the gate. He climbs up and after a few minutes, he returns - paler than before.

"The guards did not see anything, but they think it is highly likely that our horses were stolen by thieves. We forgot that humans are not as honourable as elves." Aedan repeatedly tucks his silver strands of hair behind his ear.

"They also said that we will most probably not see our horses again. The thieves have an established business and will hide the horses successfully until they can be smuggled out of the city."

"Do the guards not check anyone leaving?"

"No, Raven's Peak has an 'open gate'-policy. Anyone and everyone is free to come and go as they please."

"We cannot return without our horses."

"I am aware of that."

We stare at each other.

"I would guess that our best option would be to find the thieves and take our horses back," I venture when a plan starts to form in my head.

"The humans in the filthiest part of Raven's Peak will be bound to know something - especially if we ask them with gold," Aedan continues my train of thought.

"And I am sure that you and I would be able to retrieve our horses, even if they threaten to harm us."

"And our relationship with the humans would not be harmed, even if they suffer any damage, because any complaint from their side would also be an admittance of guilt." He flashes me his special smile as his face lights up.

I am fond of the way you think, brother."

"If the Castle is in that direction," Aedan points in a direction, "my guess would be that the slums of the city would be in that direction." He points in the opposite direction with an even broader smile.

"I would have to agree."