[02] SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU, YOU KNOW

Seattle, Washington1987

Seattle, Washington
1987

CHAPTER TWO

Carlisle's house was impressive to say the least.

They drove up a wide gravel driveway into the west-most garage, as if having more than one wasn't out of the ordinary for most people.

"Why so many?" Sydney asked whenever they began to trek along the stone pathway that led up to the house.

Carlisle shrugged, a quick and seamless gesture. To Sydney's watchful gaze it seemed almost... practiced.

"My other children have plenty of cars so we needed somewhere to put them, really." He explained.

With his mouth agape, Sydney nodded. Did that mean he'd get a car, too? God he hoped for the General Lee. Shoving his hands into his ruddy jean pockets, he kicked at some loose stones along the way to help cope with his new reality.

"Have you ever had any foster siblings, before?"

At that, without meaning to, Sydney shuddered. He didn't exactly want to remember the select few whom he had the upmost displeasure of calling 'foster siblings'. They were as miserable as they looked, and they wanted the rest of the world to feel the way they did. Like shit.

"I'm assuming that's an unfortunate yes?" Carlisle concluded.

They were nearing the house now, and Sydney could see it rearing its big fat head at him. The house was geometric in a way, with long vertical panels of grey. Everywhere his eyes looked there where massive windows that exposed the houses interior, and just approaching was the porch lined with evergreen shrubbery trimmed to the nearest leaf. It were only possible that Sydney could see so much detail at such a late hour due to the cast of light from inside the house that seeped through the glass.

Speechless, Sydney nodded in response to Carlisle's previous question.

A chuckle could be heard from beside him. "My wife actually drew up the blueprint to this house years ago. If you'd like, I could tell her that you really like it. Might get your foot in the door."

Sydney snorted, looking at Carlisle in amusement. "I'll tell her when I see her." He said, ignoring the fact that his new foster dad was so pale he practically glowed in the dark.

"Careful now. Once Esme is keen on somebody she'll never let them forget it."

"There's a first time for everything, then." Sydney said, causing Carlisle's grin to falter.