Chap. 42 Pray

Começar do início

My legs were tired by the time we'd re-entered the back way we'd entered the compound through, but Mason had been in charge of hiding the car but now that he was unconscious, we had no idea where it was. And we didn't have time to search through the hundreds of cars that were here. Cat was dying and I'd run her to the nearest hospital if I had to.

I held her closer.

"What the hell's the hold up, David?" Liam spat as David fruitlessly dug in his pocket.

"I-I have it here. I know I do," he stammered as he dug around in his pockets for a few more moments before he pulled out car keys and pushed a button, which caused a car alarm to go off, though I couldn't find the source. "Follow me," he said before he were off again.

As soon as we found his slick black Mercedes, we didn't waste any time getting in, with me and Cat in the back seat with Liam awkwardly holding Mason in the passenger seat and David in the driver seat. "There's an off base hospital a couple miles from here. We could've gotten there if we went through the tunnels but that would've taken too long and-"

"David, I don't give a damn, just drive the f—king car," I yelled, causing him to jump as before he jammed the keys in the ignition and sloppily pulled out of the parking lot and through a hidden path before we eventually pulled onto the main road.

"You're doing amazing, baby girl," I whispered as I gently swept her fallen hair away from her face. "I love you so much, you know that right? And I know you love me, so I just need you to keep holding on, alright? Then I promise, all of this will be behind us. We'll graduate and go wherever you want and do whatever you want to do. You'll go on to be the best dancer known to man and one day," I said as I looked at the blood stained promise ring on her finger I'd given her, "we're going to get married and have children. We'll tell them bedtime stories about our wild times together and call it fiction, we'll watch them grow up. Watch first loves and heart breaks. Have grandchildren and grow old and change the world and I need you to hold on for me Caterina because I don't think I can go on without you." By now I was choking down the sobs that were desperately trying to escape and calm the destructive storm that was raging within me. The kind of storm only Cat could calm.

"How's Mason?" I asked in another attempt to distract myself.

"I don't know," Liam said as he held him tighter. "He's breathing but he's not waking up no matter what I do." He turned to David. "What did you do to him?"

"I pistol whipped him," he said almost normally. "He was too close to figuring me out so I knocked him out." Liam's jaw clenched but he didn't say anything.

I felt stupid for thinking that we could trust him, and not seeing through his act. And seeing him now, all jumpy and scared...I kinda felt bad for him. He not only lost his wife but...

I didn't want to think about it.

It's his fault we're in this situation right now. If he hadn't been such a stubborn, overly emotional motherfu-

"We're almost there. I already called them in so they should be waiting for her. Get ready to jump out you two," David said as a building came into my view.

"We're almost there baby girl. Just keep holding on. We're going to fix you up and everything's going to be okay." I kissed her forehead once more as he messily pulled into yet another hidden path and did various security things that I paid no attention to before we were in front of a large, stoney building. David didn't bother parking, he messily stopped his car in front of the door before he killed the engine. I wasted no time getting out of the car and neither did Liam.

"It's okay, baby. You'll be okay," he whispered to Mason. I felt for him. This was the second time in less than two months when Liam had to carry the one he loved into the hospital, not knowing if he was okay or not.