Branchfur's Code -Chapter 6-

Chilled winds bit at the ear tips of Branchfur and his Clanmates, leaf-bare had lay claim to the forest and consumed all warmth, sending their prey hiding in their homes. Branchfur had been right when he suspected that hunting in leaf-bare would be a challenge. Prey was scare and he stood out like a splash of blood against the white snow that covered LichenClan territory.

Hungry bellies weren't the only problem plaguing LichenClan, sickness started to spread half a moon ago, it had already claimed the lives of Amberflame and Gingerdust and Branchfur knew that they wouldn't be the only ones. Sunstorm was so sick that he couldn't even leave his nest, Vinetail coughed until her body was sore and to most of LichenClan's fear, Jumpstar had been confined to his nest as well.

The elderly leader was on his last life, and Sagefeather and Barkclaw were desperately trying to save their leaver. Branchfur respected Jumpstar, but there was a part of him that knew LichenClan would benefit from having a younger, stronger leader to take his place.

Since Jumpstar never left his den, Elmheart had practically started leading the Clan already, the Clan respected Elmheart as did Branchfur. Branchfur would happily follow Elmheart as he became leader, Branchfur would have liked to be deputy but he knew that spot was reserved for Jaggedtail. Besides, Branchfur didn't even have an apprentice yet. Ashstream had recently given birth to two kits named Tigerkit and Oakkit, Branchfur was really hoping that he would be able to mentor one of them.

Branchfur wanted nothing more than to pass on Elmheart's training to a young apprentice, he wanted a cat to idolize him in the same way that Branchfur idolized Elmheart. Perhaps even a son as well. As Branchfur grew older, he longed more and more to have kits of his own. Young, bright kits who would grow up into fierce warriors. To Branchfur, however, there was only one cat who could raise such wonderful kits with him.

During one of their meetings, Branchfur finally confessed his true feelings to Poppyfur, and he had never felt better. Poppyfur, this has never been about training. He had practiced those words over and over in his head in the nights leading up to his confession. I just wanted to see more of you, and even now that's all I want. Everytime the sun rose from the darkness of night, it became harder and harder for Branchfur to say goodbye to Poppyfur.

He wanted to share his den with her, he wanted to share prey with her and tell her that he loved her every single day. His love for Poppyfur had begun to consume his life, so much so that it became difficult for Branchfur to focus on his tasks around camp. When he was hunting he saw her green eyes, and when he patrolled the borders he heard her sweet voice in his mind. I can't keep this up for long. Branchfur thought painfully, he wanted Poppyfur in LichenClan with him. Asking such a task of her, however, was a terrifying thought to Branchfur.

He knew how much she loved being a medicine cat, he also knew how much she loved her family in SunClan. Branchfur would never turn his back on LichenClan, not since he made his promise to Elmheart back when he was an apprentice, he couldn't. He also knew that he wasn't being completely loyal when he snuck out of the camp to meet with Poppyfur at night, but it was something that couldn't be helped. Soon. I will convince Poppyfur to leave SunClan and live a better life here in LichenClan. A life with me. Branchfur just had to find the right time to ask, and he knew it might be a while before that chance came up but the future he was dreaming of was worth waiting for.

As the frigid day went on, day turned to night and LichenClan warriors soon settled down into their nests. Branchfur curled up in his nest, waiting impatiently as his Clanmates fell asleep. The den soon filled with the sound of gentle breaths and snoring from his denmates and Branchfur rose out of his nest, ready to face the bitter night winds outside the warriors den.