14. Mom and I: Our ADN Story

by Addy

Throwback August 2015:

Our family went to Palawan for the August long weekend holiday. While in the hotel, I was outside of our room using the wifi to catch a replay of the latest craze- ALDUB. It was the 2nd Yakie wedding & my mom was asking "ano yan, sino yan?" That night, the episode was even on the evening news & mom was able to catch it. I observed Mom, hindi sya impressed, being a foreign shows watcher(Jadine follower na din pala ako nun lol). I told her - "Mom you should watch it! Maganda yan! Sikat yan kaya." She said - "oo nga, sus! Sa ofc puro ganyan. Si Alden? Tisoy yan eh. Saka sikat ba yan? Yung girl sino yan? Naku ang simple lang, hindi yan magugustuhan ni Alden".

I did not stop convincing her. I showed her my FB post on the Kalyeserye episode where Alden wrote MAINE, instead of Yaya Dub for the 1st time as a fansign. I had to share with her the magic I felt about these 2 people on split screen! I think that got Mom's attention & I saw her replaying previous KS episodes already.

During that time, I was into wattpad & YT videos. I wrote a Maichard fanfic & made at least 2 fanmade videos on Alden & Maine. 2nd year college pa lang ako nun, but realidad got in the way. Sumobrang busy na ako with college & personal stuff I just became a casual Aldub fan but voila! Si Mom ang naging full fledged member ng Aldubnation. She never looked back from fangirling full mode on(buying tons of magazines, attending ADN events when she can, super busy din kc sa work si Mom) while I discovered Knovelas & BTS in 2016-2017. Oh, we attended nga pala together the 1st "Wish I May" event of a very emotional Alden Richards at SM North Edsa in October 2015. And nga pala, Mom & I bonded over 3 cinema showings of Imagine You & Me. Super faney levels na kami nyan haha.

November 2017

Mom was washing the dishes while bawling her eyes out, while listening to "Sa Yo" oh gosh! She was sobbing "Ate, friends lang sila! Bakit ganun?! After all this time, ano yung nakita natin?!" I have always told Mom, from the IG posts I have seen thru the years - Alden & Maine are in a relationship. Hindi lang umaamin. And I told Mom on that fateful Open Letter afternoon - "nagbreak lang yan Mom. Baka hindi na kinaya yun pressures ng showbiz. Malay mo maiaayos din nila yan". That became a bonding moment I know she cherished. Para ko na kasing kapatid si Maine kung umasta si Mom sa pagsunod sa career at lovelife (yes, do u call that delulu?) ng Aldub. She loved them like that. Mom continued to support the two, nagpupuyat pa din updating on her phone, twitter or IG probably kasi she updates me pag may time, working girl na rin kasi ako.

March 2019

Months after analyzing Maine's interaction with the other guy whom I know as a TV actor also - the truth has finally come out from her blog. Mom somehow expected it already, did not cry anymore. She confessed to have lost sleep though on several "pasabog" days. In one of our recent discussions, she has raised the white flag already. I told her - "Hmm. I don't think she is that serious. She seems to have settled with him kc her relationship with Alden failed. But u know, they cannot escape destiny. Their story is too beautiful, their connection too strong to just be ignored. There is a plot twist in 2020. Ha! 2010, 2015, 2020. 5 year stages". Mom is not too convinced, being conservative, but I can feel a tiny flicker of hope in her heart.

We are just in the middle of the Aldub/Maichard journey. Our protagonists at cross swords with conflicting priorities. The artificiality of their showbiz world makes their story more complicated. But hey, this is God's unexpected, serendipitous gift to ADN right? He is the ultimate writer of their extraordinary story. Let nature take its course.

I am also in the middle of a love story I am fighting for. This is why I am hopeful for Richard & Nicomaine. If they are each other's great love, nothing or no one can get in the way of their happy ending.

Meanwhile, I will hold Mom's hand. I will carry the shipper torch for both of us. Cheer up ADN. 07-16-15 happened for a reason. ALDUB PA RIN HANGGANG DULO.

Love,

Addy's daughter, 21

P.S.

ADN, you are one awesome fandom! BTS army ako but Mom is so proud to be a part of you. Stay phenomenal beyond all the negativity now. This too shall pass. You will all rise above this. Laban lang.