3. Me, My Boss and Baby Baste

by Anne Khaleesi

"Sino kaya yun?" Alden grumbled groggily, awakened by the noise outside. He placed a pillow over his head to blocked all the blaring sound but it was no use. He sat up from his bed, leans in the headboard then kicked the linens covering his naked body. He only had his boxers on.

Four loud knocks followed by three shrieking doorbells more was heard from his penthouse suite of MegaHome condominium. Alden manage to careen out of bed taking his bed sheets with him leaving it scattered on his hardwood floor and unsteadily made his way outside the bedroom not minding his lack of clothing. He was starting to feel the throbbing headache caused by the hangover from a wild bachelor's party the night before.

"Etoh na nga! Stop banging the door!" Alden shouted. He winced at the clamor which seemed to be ten times excruciating with his hangover. He's really on the verge of punching whoever's outside. "Ouch!" Alden mutter when he tripped on his black leather shoes scattered along the hallway outside his bedroom door. He throw the said impeccable shoes aimlessly out of the way while hopping on one foot.

Staggering for the living room lights, he turned the switch on then head towards the main door. He looked through the peephole but didn't seem to spot anyone outside. Well whoever's making this prank on him will sure be in hell of a lot of trouble.

Curiosity wins over as he turned the latch to the left and opened the door anyway. He scanned the hallway which held two adjacent elevators but find it empty.

"Psssttt!" A tiny voice said followed by small pats on his leg. He bowed his head down to find what seems to be a tiny human clutching a worn out baby blanket looking at him expectantly.

"Where mommy go?" The tiny human said to him. He can speak? Alden thought.

"I don't know. Who are you?" Alden asked. It felt weird to be talking to the little guy. What is going on? He tried scanning the lobby once more but again found it empty. Who the heck left their child here? And who was in charge of security today? Who allowed this child up this floor? He brushed his hand up to his disheveled hair in annoyance.

"Pssst!" The tiny human said louder this time and was now tugging his boxers to get his attention. Alden crouched down and look at what seem to be an eager beaver trying to tell him a secret. He faced the little guy with his elbows prop on his bent knees. "Yes would you like to say something?" Alden asked softly while trying to suppress a smile at the beguiling ball of cuteness in front of him.

"Are you daddy?" The little boy whispered with its eyes twinkling like he finally found the hidden treasure. Alden was taken aback when the question finally hit him and almost lost his footing on his crouched position. Did I heard it right? What in the world is happening? Am I having a nightmare? Who's playing a prank on him?

"No I'm not!?" Alden replied in a not so sure and more like a question comeback. He felt his heart start to beat fast. Anak ko ba toh? Kanino? He pondered for a sec. He had to admit he had a number of acquaitance before...ehem. It'll be hard to pinpoint the mother. Not some crazy ex please. He pleaded to any saint who'd be willing to hear him out this weird morning.

Assessing the boy's features, they do have some similarities - had fair skin, gel styled dark hair, rosy chubby cheeks, big doughy brown eyes - but they don't look exactly alike. Alden smiled at that discovery, which made the little boy smile, too.

No dimples.

That's it! Di akin toh! Alden snapped his finger at his conclusion. He always believe that his genes is strong enough to produce dimpled babies. No dimples - not his child period.