6 - The Stranger Turned Companion

The next day, I woke up early and boarded a fast craft headed to Iloilo. It was a short ride, just one hour, and I didn't even notice it was over until people were starting to climb out of the craft.

As soon as I was out, I flagged a cab to my accommodation. I was only there to drop off my things because my plans for today was a city tour around Guimaras. The cab driver already gave me instructions how to find the port, but just to be safe, I rode the cab again so I wouldn't get lost and risk wasting time.

The line was short, the ride to Guimaras even shorter. Probably just ten to fifteen minutes, if not less. When I arrived, I found a booth where all the sights to be seen here were displayed. The woman behind the desk politely asked me of my plans and gave me suggestions on where to go and what to see. I didn't have time to do both the island tour and the city tour so I opted for the latter. Then, a man helped me rent a trike/tour guide for the whole day. Before I knew it, we were on our way to the plaza.

The tour guide was kind enough to offer to take photos of me. And what was great was all of his shots were superb! Praktisado!

Since it was early and I hadn't eaten yet, I decided to eat brunch muna at Pittstop and made sure to order their famous mango pizza. I also ordered their chicken curry. I came in a less crowded time, but there were still a handful of people inside. When I tasted the food, only then did I realize why. Masarap ang pagkain. It was something na hahanap-hanapin mo ang lasa.

After lunch, I went to the monastery first to receive blessing from the monk, and then I took lots of photos at the mango plantation, before finally heading to the beach. Gusto ko ang dagat dito. It was peaceful and serene here. The water was crystal clear, cool to the touch but not really cold. They even boasted pristine white sands. Kaunti lang din ang nando'n so I was able to enjoy my time playing in the water.

I even got a henna of a teddy bear along my wrist as a nod to my nickname: Calliebear.

By the time I was done, the sun was already setting. I didn't bother changing my clothes and just went back to the trike. The driver then brought me to the windmills to watch the sunset there. Malamig na ang hangin kaya doon na rin natuyo ang damit ko.

I was alone here, which felt strangely comfortable, as I watched the novelty of the sun going down, streaks of pink, red, violet, and orange dancing in the skies as if kissed by a painter's brush. It was a slow descent, and probably even the longest dawn I'd ever seen.

Hindi pa man 'yon natatapos, I heard the sound of the engine and the footsteps of a person crunching over the fallen leaves.

Paglingon ko, my breath hitched at the person smiling down at me. The dawn almost forgotten, I stopped my video coverage of it to face him completely.

"What the hell? Why are you here? I thought you're in DSB?" I asked, my eyes raking over his form. His clothes—just a simple black shirt and shorts—were fully dried up, meaning he didn't even go to the beach.

"Who said anything about staying there?" Rhys said, eyes flashing and grin broadening in mirth as he removed his cap from his head. He ran a hand through his tousled hair, the myriad colors of the dawn casting shadows on his sharp features.

My eyes widened and I stepped back. "Sinusundan mo ba 'ko?" I accused. Ang kapal ko rito, but what the hell?

He stepped forward, his smile growing even bigger. "What if I am?"

The fuck?

I stepped back even more, narrowing my eyes at him. "Shit, dude. You're a creep."

In that instant, I tried to think if I held a false impression of this guy. If he wasn't the chill type I thought him to be but something else. Ang weird no'n if he followed me here.