they were kids, and they were constantly busy. she just wanted a breath, a break to spend time with him. it was something he never gave her.

it was never about the guitar, it was about him.

without a thought, finn would spend endless days teaching her now. he wished he hadn't been such a jerk growing up. he was trying to make up for the worst of what violet went through.

this, was its start.

~*~

"f minor- no, here." finn helps her place her fingers one by one on the fret board.

violet sucked, she didn't care. she was spending that particularly rainy afternoon in the comfort of his living room, focusing hours on end on just the two of them. laughing, concentrating, caring for one another.

violet sighs, hands falling limp on the guitar as she looks to him in a smile.
"i think we need to take a break."

"its frustrating, i know."

"play me something." she hands her guitar over to him in a smile.

"okay well, ive been working on a riff for a new song." he moves to the edge of the couch.
"i want your opinion."

violet nods, patiently waiting. her eyes turn to disbelief as he finally starts the fast tempo riff. she didnt understand how his fingers could move so fast after what she had just spent hours on.

she waits until hes finished to speak,
"you are insane."

"was it okay? i was thinking as the background melody."

"no, definitely a solo break. that melodic scale in there shouldn't be covered up, it will seem cloudy."

"wha-" he looks to her with wide eyes,
"how do you even know what that stuff means?"

"i took a music course in college as a filler class." she laughs,
"i cant play anything but, im pretty good with music theory."

"shit, youve never been so hot."

she laughs at his joke as he hands her back the guitar.

it wasnt a joke.

"you know, i want to be as good as you some day."
violet grins shyly to finn, she truly did look up to him. to his talent.

"then take it back home with you."

"no, i couldn't do that."

"why not? you wont learn if you dont practice; and, who knows when the next time i see you will be."

"i dont even know what to do with it."

"i'll text you, give you something to practice every day. you'll be a pro in no time." he smiles cheekily to her.

he notices the hesitation in violets eyes, he didnt understand why.
"violet, thats your guitar. it belongs to you."

"no i know, im just, thinking."

"thinking about what?"

she hesitates,
"getting in bed, tonight. by myself; seeing the guitar and thinking..."

"about what." he replies again, softly.

"the only thing thats been on my mind since the concert."

he sighs into a smile, knowing that she was implying towards him.

"what are we doing, vi?"

"i dont know." she whispers to the ground.

"im not going to push you into anything."

"theres nothing to push, finn. we live in two different countries for gods sake. it sucks."

"yeah im going to, see what i could do about that."

they let it fall silent, violet thinking before the words seem to spill right from her mouth.
"what if i move back to vancouver?"

finns taken back,
"what about william? your job?"

"i could always be transferred."

"and william?"

violet shrugs,
"things aren't, great right now between us. he's a sweet guy, really. but he gets jealous. it gets out of hand."

finn tenses up,
"he doesn't hurt you, right?"

"no, no nothing like that."

he settles in relief, he'd do much of everything to never put her in a situation like that again.

"its just that..."

"just what?"

violet sighs, frustrated that he didnt somehow know how she felt. she doesnt mean to, in fact she almost regretted being so urgent with it. but her thoughts slip out, complicating everything.

"i love you. and, god finn i miss you all the time. you're all i think about anymore."

the breath is knocked out of finn, he doesn't even get a chance to smile. his words only react in truth.
"i love you, so much violet."

"so what does that mean?" her eyes flicker up to his.

finn shrugs to the floor.
"i'll wait. you go back home and take the time to figure out whats best for you."
he nods to her, eyes set in stone to violets. heart radiating from his chest.
"i'll wait."

1345 wc

- this book is all cheese cause there was so little in the first book so sorry if you cringed haha
- drop ur instagrams so i can follow you