~Lake Town Pt 2~

We all sat in the barrels, trying our best to be as quiet as possible. I was in the same barrel as Kili, our bodies pressed together. My leg my now beginning to sting more painfully but I knew better than to let it show, who knows what Kili would do then, most likely leave me in Laketown while they continue to the mountain. Kili had his arm wrapped around my waist keeping me close while the other was pressed against the barrels wall. I knew we would fit better if I was with Bilbo but Kili had insisted that I was to stay with him and he was one not to argue with when his mind was set. The dwarves murmured with each other as I heard Bard leave the ship and move to land, attracting the Company's attention.

"Shh, what's he doing?" I heard Dwalin asked from his barrel.

"He's talking to someone." Bilbo whispered, from his barrel.

"And he's... pointing right at us!" Bilbo said worriedly.

"Now, the're shaking hands." Bilbo said nervously. I took in a sharp breath and Kili's grip tighten around me as I did so.

"What?" Thorin growled.

"That villain. He's selling us out!" Dwalin said, anger growing into his voice. I heard shuffling and a few angry mumbles from the dwarves but before we could a large salmon fell into our barrel, knocking Kili right in his nose. He grumbled and groaned as more and more smelly fish were poured into our barrel. After a moment our barrel was filled to the brim with slimy fish and the barge was moving again. My body was now fully against Kili's and he held me tightly, my head in the crook of his neck, which made my feet extensively head up but I focused on the more pressing matters at hand. I heard Dwalin mutter an 'oh god' but was quickly silence by a soft bang, which was probably Bard delivering a swift kick. 

"Quiet! We're approaching the toll gate." Bard ordered as we drifted closer to Laketown. I heard the murmurs of the lake people and the excited shouts of children and as soon as the sound reached our ears Kili tightened his grip around me, if even possible.

"If anything happens, you stay by my side. I'll protect you." He whispered, which sent shivers down my spine. I felt my face heat up again and a smile appeared on my lips as I snuggled closer.

"Well, thank you for your noble proclamation, and I will, but you remember well Kili Durin, if something does happen don't you think for a second I won't get a couple of licks in." I said with a smirk. Even though I couldn't see his face I could tell he was smirking. He pressed his head closer to mine while the barge floated into the toll gate.

"Halt! Goods inspection. Papers, please," The gatekeeper said," Oh, it's you, Bard."

"Morning, Percy." Bard replied.

"Anything to declare?" The gatekeeper asked.

"Nothing, but that I am cold an tired, and ready for home." Bard said, clearly exhausted.

"You and me both." The keeper said as the sound of ruffled paper went through the air.

"Here we are. All in order." The keeper said merrily.

"Not so fast." A rather, slimy and sly voice sounded. Just from their voice I could tell that they were nothing but trouble and wickedness.

"Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm. Only, they're not empty, are they, Bard?" The voice said menacingly. I felt a pang of fear and my arms around Kili moved slightly. My leg had flared up again and I had to grit my teeth from the sting.

"If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman, not a fisherman." 

"That's none of your business." Bard replied a bitterness in his tone.