~ Fire and Water Pt. 1~

I took in ragged breaths as I tried to regain my strength, most of the pain had died down leaving only a dull stinging, but most of my body was still stiff. Kili stood next to me clasping my hand in his. He reached out to brush a few of stands of hair out of my face. The male ellon, Legolas, had left after I passed out leaving only Tauriel with us. We all listened quietly to the eerie swoops of wind and low growls coming from the approaching dragon. Through my blurry eyes I was able to see the monstrous shadow of Smaug as he flew menacingly around the town. Tauriel stood outside looking on at the mountain, before walking swiftly back inside to us.

"We have no time. We must leave." She said gathering the Bard's things.

"Get her up." Bofur said as he to began to collect his things. Kili wrapped an arm around my waist as Fili held my arm, helping me off the table.

"Come one, ghivashel. We have to hurry." Kili said as he and Fili helped me stand.

"Come on, come on, let's go." Bofur exclaimed, clearly worried about the on coming dragon fire.

"I'm fine, I can walk." I said gently pushing them off. Kili however, refused to listen to me wrapping his strong arms around my small frame and picking me up. Legolas had left before the dragon arrived chasing after Azog's son Bolg. Tauriel, however, stayed with us which everyone was very grateful for. Bard had yet to return and we were growing more worried every minute, but this was not a time to worry about that.

"We're not leaving!" Bain suddenly said as he marched towards Tauriel who was helping his sisters prepare to flee," Not without our father."

"If you stay here, your sisters will die," Tauriel explained sharply," Is that what your father would want?"

I could hear Smaug swooping above us as we rushed to the families boat. Kili whispered calming words in dwarvish to me as I hissed in pain. We began to load into the boat hurriedly as Smaug grew closer and closer. The townsfolk were panicking around us all trying to leave before the true terror would begin.

"Come on give me your hand." Fili shouted to Bard's children as they rushed into the boat.

"Quickly now." Tauriel said as she helped Kili and I into the boat.

"Kili, we need to go now." I said to the group as they piled supplies in with us.

"Bofur and Tauriel pushed us off and began to hurriedly steer us away from the home.

"It's ok, we'll be fine ghivashel." Kili whispered his voice wavering slightly. I could see the fear in his handsome brown eyes and I reached out, clasping his rough hand in mine.

"We will." I said confidently trying to calm him. Tilda was huddled next to me, holding on tightly to my arm which I welcomed. Screams from the laketown people and roars from the mighty dragon above filled the once peaceful town. Dark skies stretched above us and the smell of smoke began to reach my nose. Smaug flew over us his wing beating loudly at the air. We all stared up in awe and fear as he roared loudly. He then threw a powerful fire blast at the lake town causing the town to erupt in flames.

Suddenly, I could see the Master's boat sail forwards filled to the brim with gold. They were passing people by and I felt disgust rise in me as Alfred and the Master simply continued on in fear.

Suddenly, their boat crashed into ours causing us near to tip over. The girls gasped in fear as Tauriel tried to keep us a float.

"My gold! My gold!" The Master screamed as some of his 'precious' treasure fell into the river below, giving me a slight sense of satisfaction.

"We're carrying to much weight. We need to dump something." Alfred called out as he stared at the gold, but as soon as I saw the Master grab hold of Alfred I knew his plan. Without a second thought the Master tossed Alfred off of his boat and disappearing between the buildings.

We continued to sail on trying our best to navigate the burning city.

"Kili, if we don't-" I began making sure to whisper only to him, but he quickly cut me off.

"No, we will make it, Y/n Baggins. I swear it upon the line of Durin." He claimed. As more destroyed buildings collapsed into the lake I looked to the lake, I heard a bell begin to ring loudly. We all looked towards the tower and were surprised to see Bard standing alone bow drawn and fighting Smaug.

"Da!" Bain screamed his sisters coping his proclamation.

"He hit it! He hit the dragon!" Kili yelled as we watched Bard fire his arrows at the beast.

"No." Tauriel said.

"He did! He hit his mark, I saw!" Kili continued, but I quickly silenced him as I too watched.

"His arrows cannot it's hide," I explained knowing that only a black arrow could do such a thing."

"I fear nothing will." Tauriel said. Suddenly, Bain jumped from the boat his eyes set on another rafter a few yards away from us. 

"Bain!" Tilda and her sister screamed as they rushed towards where there brother had run off to, but the dwarves quickly held them in place. We all screamed for him to come back, but he remained determined as he made his way to the other boat. 

"Leave him! We cannot go back." Tauriel said grimly as we watched as we drifted away from the boy. 

"Bain!" Tilda cried as we sailed further away from her brother. I placed my hand gently on her shoulder giving it a reassuring squeeze. 

"He will be alright. He's smart." I said as Tilda cried into her sisters shoulder. The fire and destruction had only grown as we watched Bain pull a black arrow from the boat. Black smoke filled the air causing all of us to take in struggled breaths. Kili and I clung to each other as we watched the town be reduced to ash, but a small glimmer of hope still stayed as we watched Bain rush to where his father was standing a top the bell tower. However, fear once again reached us as we watched Smaug take to top clean off of Bard's tower, before landing opposite it.

"Who are you, that would stand against me?!" Smaug roared as he faced Bard, who was now standing bravely on the destroyed bell tower. My hand found Kili's as we watched Bard realize the lance and his bow had been destroyed leaving him only with the black arrow.           

"Now that is a pity," Smaug mocked as Bard look back towards the thundering beast," What will you do now, bowman?! You are forsaken! Ha ha, no help will come."

As Smaug crept closer his gaze caught onto Bain who stared at the beast in fear. 

"Is that your child? You cannot save him from the fire. He will burn!" Smaug threatened as he continued to crawl towards Bard. Suddenly, Bard called for his son before beginning to construct a new weapon. We all watched as he grabbed Bain and turned his back to the beast before rest the black arrow on his son's shoulder. I gasped once I realized what his plan was. 

"He's going to use Bain! He's going to use Bain as a lance!" I shouted. Kili's grip on me tightened and he pulled me even closer into his side. I could feel his heart beating wildly in his chest. We all watched in suspense as the two faced off against the beast. 

"Tell me, retch! How now do you challenge me? You have nothing left, but your death. " Smaug growled, but in his mockery he revealed his one weakness. Everyone's eyes, especially Bard's went straight to the missing scale under Smaug's left breast. Smaug then started his charge towards the family his roars echoing through the burned lake town. Suddenly, Bard released the arrow and it felt as though time itself slowed down. My eyes followed the black arrow as it sore towards Smaug and struck the great beast. 

The black arrow had found its mark.       

Smaug le tout a loud, and pain filled roar as he crashed into the bell tower. Bard and Bain fell with the tower into the water causing the sisters to call out her brother and father's names. Smaug flew into the air cursing and sputtering as he tried to escape, but the black arrow had done to much damage. We all watched in horror and triumph as the once great dragon fell from the sky, defeated. 

"He did it!" Kili shouted in happiness before turning towards me a large grin on his face," Smaug is dead!"