F O R T Y O N E ~ "You're a legend."

Start from the beginning

Axel's birthday is coming up and I wanted to do something nice. Planning a party for Axel and his friends and family is something I've wanted to do for a while.

"So, his place? How are you going to get him out of it for us to decorate?" Emma asks.

"I'll take care of getting him out, I just need you guys to be quick when decorating. Also, we need to invite Axel's parents at least."

Originally, it was just going to be Axel's friends, but I believe that birthdays are a day to spend with the people closest to you and he needs his parents there to make the whole day feel complete.

"I'm on it." Rob volunteers before getting his phone out and dialing up Axel's parents.

At his quick and suspicious speed, I'm shocked at Rob's enthusiasm.

"Hey, Mrs Black! How are you?" He asks, smiling into the phone. I can hear a voice murmuring in the background and Rob nods along. "That's really great. Now, I was just phoning to see if you are free on the day of Axel's birthday to come down and see him?"

There's a sudden shift in the voice, the tone becoming more high-pitched in what is hopefully excitement. Emma and I sit there in anticipation as Rob explains the idea, the two of us wondering if Axel's mom is agreeing with the idea of the party.

"Well, his lovely girlfriend is right here if you want more details, it was her idea after all." Rob drawls, smirking at me.

I throw a pillow at him in shock, annoyed that he's setting me up.

Obviously my first impressions with Axel's parents mean a lot and I was not planning on talking to them for the first time when I'm stressed and knee-deep in party planning.

"Yep, I'll just pass her over." Rob nods, motioning at me to stand up.

Mustering every single etiquette lesson I've ever been taught into my brain, I take the phone with shaky hands but give Rob a steely gaze in return.

"Hi, Mrs Black it's so nice to finally talk with you." I smile, even though she can't see me, but I'm just doing it in the hope that some of the happiness will be able to be heard through my voice.

"You must be Skylar! Can I just say, my boy has talked so much about you." She says and her warm, comforting voice immediately puts me at ease over this whole sudden situation.

"Only good things I hope." I murmur playfully, hoping to ease some of the tension.

She laughs in response before asking, "Now, what was this about wanting to throw Axel a surprise party?"

"Since Axel is turning twenty-three in a week, I was thinking that we could throw him a surprise party. It would be his friends and obviously his family, if you were free to come." I explain.

Opening my eyes, I begin pacing the room still on the phone. I see Rob and Emma give me a thumbs up and I nod in acknowledgment back at them.

"That sounds absolutely lovely! Will it be on the day of his birthday?" She asks.

I nod, before voicing my thoughts - feeling stupid for doing actions when she obviously can't see me. "Yes, it will be. I was planning on having it at his apartment."

"That sounds great. Tell you what dear, I'll make some arrangements and then we'll text over our plans to Rob since he has my number."

On speed dial by the looks of it.

"That sounds great Mrs Black, thank you." I smile, knowing my mission is completed

"No problem at all, lovely speaking to you Skylar."

"You too." I agree before we say our goodbyes.

"You're a legend." Rob cheers before we quickly go back to planning the party.

One which I hope will be filled with love, joy and lots of cake.

••••

"You're going to be fine, stop stressing out." Axel smiles softly at me, running his hands up an down my arms in an attempt to soothe the nerves that are currently ricocheting off inside me.

"Yeah, uh-hu. Sure." I mutter back, absentmindedly. Not fully taking in his words, my eyes are wandering in shock around the room.

With chairs in a circle with a dance floor in the middle of them, my gut seems to have dropped onto the floor. Two spotlights shine onto the floor, reminding me that everything I do once I step onto that floor will be visible.

It's the day of the dance off.

Well, the second one anyway.

All the girls arrived on time and in high spirits, currently backstage warming up. I arrived early and did that, so I took my chance to came out to see Axel, Rob and Emma who are all here to support me.

Originally this dance off was just going to be dance students, then creative students. But the whole thing has grown arms and legs and now it's just whoever wants to come with a judging panel of the elite dance students.

The other team, which includes Blossom, is standing and warming up at the other side of the hall.

A sense of danger hangs over me like a thin veil, my mind screaming with memories of what occurred between us last time we were together. Knowing that I'm smarter this time, I reassure myself that my thoughts are just my brain spiraling and it's my job to get them back on track.

A gentle squeeze on my hand brings me back to the present and I look up to see Axel smiling fondly at me.

"You've done this routine a billion times, you can do it once more." He soothes.

Blowing out a breath, I silence the stubborn part of my brain and agree with him. "Yeah, you're right. Okay, I need to go."

"You'll crush it cupcake!" Rob cheers as Emma claps in encouragement beside him.

Leaning down, Axel gives me a soft kiss on the forehead before saying, "I love you."

Grinning, I ignore the screaming voice in my head and kiss him properly this time. Breaking apart to not draw too much attention to ourselves, I wave to my three constant supporters before making my way backstage.

With my other teammates surrounding me, all dressed in our previous outfits, I'm struck with a lightning bolt of confidence. We can do this.

Well, we better hope we can because as our group name gets called and we walk out onto the stage with blinding lights in our faces - I know it's time to prove myself.

There's no second chances and no time to look back, this is our chance.

••••

Author's Note:

Go, Skylar! How do we think this dance competition is going to go?

The beginning of this chapter was cute on Axel's part but not so much for Skylar! Do we think she did the right thing by not saying it back?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, make sure to let me know by leaving a comment :)

Have a great day, guys!

Much love,

Jade x