Chapter 26: New Friends

Start from the beginning

As the night wore on and everyone on the boat chatted among themselves, he turned to look at Casey and stroked his fingers along her jaw. She turned her head back towards him and smiled.

"Hello," she said quietly.

He leaned into her, catching her lips with his and kissing her slowly. He felt her sigh contentedly against him.

Kimi caught sight of the pair and smirked subtly to himself. He was glad his friend had found someone too and looked back over at Minttu. His heart skipped a beat at how beautiful she looked; she was starting to get a pregnancy glow about her. He watched on as Minttu stood up and moved across the circle to take the empty seat next to Casey and the two of them struck up a conversation.

"So how did you two actually get together?" Minttu smiled as she curled up on the seat next to Casey. Seb busied himself in conversation with Kimi and the others.

Casey chuckled and looked down at Seb's hand resting in her lap. She traced the lines on his palm absent-mindedly as she answered Minttu's question.

"We spent more and more time together privately and sooner or later, it just... I don't know, happened," she shrugged helplessly.

"Did you worry about losing your job?"

She shot the Finnish beauty a bashful grin, "Yeah, definitely. But there was a little feeling of an 'oh well' feeling in there too, if I was going to lose it. Don't get me wrong, I love my job but..."

Minttu giggled, "Some things are worth more."

Casey nodded and bit her lip.

"I thought I would continue with my career when I started seeing Kimi. That didn't last long," Minttu laughed.

"Too difficult to balance it all?"

"Yes, I mean, they're just so busy. It's endless. It was already hard enough to see Kimi unless I travelled with him so, the decision became clear."

"I guess I'm in a unique position where I already travel with Seb so... well, I guess that's why this all happened in the first place," she laughed.

"You make a very good couple," Minttu beamed.

Casey smiled mischievously, "Thank you. It really feels surreal. I mean, 6 months ago I was working in the factory 9 to 5 and spending my evenings watching terrible reality TV. Now, I'm sitting here with this one," she lifted Seb's hand up for emphasis, "...on Kimi Raikkonen's luxury yacht. Like, what?"

Minttu laughed and placed her hand on Casey's shoulder lightly, "Oh, I like you."

"Seb and Kimi were always my two favourite drivers for years, my brain is really struggling to cope," Casey added.

"I know that feeling," Minttu agreed.

"So what has it been like for you?" Casey asked.

Minttu's smile faltered briefly, "Not exactly easy. There are a lot of his fans out there that don't like me. The online harassment... death threats... that all hit me quite hard."

Casey frowned, "I suppose I have that to look forward too still."

"Well, if you ever need some extra support, call me," Minttu smiled.

The two women continued talking for a long time, causing Kimi and Seb to exchange a smirk at one point. They ended up exchanging numbers by the end of the night. By 4am, most of the guests had decided to turn in. Not surprisingly, Kimi's boat offered several large bedrooms which they were all able to retire to.

Casey yawned, resting her head on Seb's shoulder. Her eyes were starting to feel very heavy - it had been another huge day. She was also starting to feel cold.