to right a wrong

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⋆ 1863.

Ninety degrees was a lot for Colin to handle the summer he spent traveling with Idaho Territory's first appointed governor from Steilacoom to Lewiston. Across Washington Territory he had ridden in the dry heat, likening it to the incessant warmth of a strong fire in the leather journal that accompanied him along the way. Not even inside the Hotel de France in Lewiston did the Seattleite find refuge from the stifling heat; he stood there in the lobby, fanning himself like a flustered belle.

Being east of the Cascades felt like diving right in to another country, completely apart from his state. Here the fiddlers sang Yankee Doodle and Battle Hymn of the Republic rather than Pop Goes the Weasel in Chinook Jargon and Old Grey Mare with lyrics swapped in homage to clam digging on Bellingham Bay. The men here were antsy, quicker to stake their claim, louder and more pushy than their western counterparts.

Former counterparts, anyways. Though reluctant at first, Idaho shed itself from Washington and for the first time stood on its own two feet, hustling and bustling with the potent mining industry that drew settlers to and fro from all over the nation. By the time he and Governor Wallace had finally made it to Lewiston, over half of its population had flocked south to Boise in hopes of striking it rich in gold, but still the dirt roads and businesses were buzzing with activity.

When Colin listened beyond the medley of the fiddles, he caught glimpses of conversations ranging from the movement of the local band of Nez Perces to the Oregon Cavalry and Washington Volunteer Infantry stationed at nearby Fort Lapwai, but among the voices he heard the faint laughter of children younger than himself.
I hope the families here will be alright.
He smiled faintly and closed his eyes, leaning against a column that stood beside the velvet carpeting of the entrance. Jeez, it's so hot here...I wonder what the weather is like at home...

"–sneak attack?"
"–did he go?–came with–"
The giggling and voices they belonged to got closer. Colin opened his eyes again and looked up to scan the crowd of people lounging around in the lobby, but none seemed to be moving towards him.
"Over there!"
"Where?!"
Before he could turn around, two boys roared as ferociously as they could and threw themselves at Colin's sides, clinging to him and burying their bright smiles into his shirt. Colin squeaked and stumbled a bit but managed to steady himself, grabbing the collars of the boys' shirts to keep them from falling over into the column.

He recognized them immediately; one head of amber blonde – Acelin – and one of curly black, Avery.
"You guys surprised me!" He laughed, ruffling their locks as they peered up at him with grins that were missing a couple teeth per kid.
"Good." Acelin wrapped his arms around his older brother's waist, squishing his freckled cheek against him. "Avery wanted to see you, but I said we should surprise you first." Avery fidgeted sheepishly, glancing first at the Eastern Washingtonian and then up at Colin.
"How was your trip over?"
"Oh, long. And hot," Colin hummed, patting their shoulders and nudging them in the direction of an open table and group of chairs. "But I believe we made good time. It was nice seeing the Columbia and the coulees. This is very fine country."

Avery climbed up into his own chair, but Acelin insisted hopping into Colin's lap. He made himself comfortable, leaning back into the ginger's chest as he continued.
"I should make more trips out here, but there's so much going on in Olympia...ah, if I leave something important may happen while I'm gone."
"It's okay. I understand," Avery nodded, kicking his legs idly with his hands in his lap. "Lewiston is far away...and with everyone moving south towards Boise, I can imagine travel will be even harder once the trail splits off. It's getting dangerous, too..."
He trailed off, leaning over to fold his arms on top of his knees. "All this talk of war out east kind of scares me. I'm sure you know they've sent soldiers from Oregon and Washington to Lapwai..."

Colin nestled his chin on top of Acelin's head, using his hand to fan them both. "Don't worry about the war. You'll be okay. We have nothing to do with it and I will continue to see to it that no one gets us involved, not even the sore politicians they sent over here to govern us."
Avery perked up a little. He seemed relieved and spoke softly.
"...I was afraid splitting would mean you weren't my friend anymore, Colin. After you became a territory you didn't talk to Elliot anymore, so I..."
The older stopped fanning Acelin to hold him closer, offering Avery a sympathetic, gentle look as he gestured the Idahoan over. He slid out of his seat and in beside Acelin, while Colin ran his fingers through his loose curls and planted a kiss on top of his head.
"Don't be silly. You're one of my closest friends, Avery — and Acelin, you're my little brother. None of that will ever change, territory lines or not. I love you."

He meant those words either way, really and truly, but different parts of Colin battled over where they came from; out of a desire to make up for the kindness he was not shown, or to console himself?

"You promise you'll keep us safe no matter what?"
"I promise."