𝔱𝔴𝔬

When I got home, I immediately rushed upstairs to my room. As soon as I was in my safe place with the door closed, I threw my backpack onto the floor, sat on my bed, and opened up my laptop.

While my laptop was loading, my mom entered my room. "Um, you could have at least said hello on your way up here." She let out a half-laugh and looked around my room with cautious eyes. It was slightly messy, with a few pieces of clothing strewn across the floor and my bed unmade. "You need to straighten up your room."

I sighed and nodded. "Sorry, mom. I'll clean it up." I brought myself to my feet and grabbed my laundry off of the floor before throwing it in my hamper in the back corner of my room.

"Why were you in such a rush to get up here, anyway?" She asked nosily. My mom was always nosy. Personally, I didn't feel like it was any of her business, but that was what moms did, I guess.

"Oh, I was just going to video chat Ethan and Benny." I shrugged as I sat back down on my bed and clicked on the video chat app.

She nodded and grabbed a cup that was a few days old off of my nightstand as she walked out of my room. I awkwardly scratched the back of my head and looked away. I hated when my mom did that. She'd tell me to clean something and if I didn't do it in within what she considered to be the perfect time frame, she'd passively aggressively start picking up items until the task was finished.

After my mom left the room, I tried to start a video call with Ethan and Benny. I lived farther away from the school than them, and I walked home from school, so I knew they were definitely at home. But neither one of them picked up.

I assumed he was probably doing homework or something with his family, so I grabbed my phone and texted Ethan instead.

to eThAn!!!1!11!!!
hey loser so ur not answering my video calls so instead of being nice i'm just gonna show up @ ur house later is that ok?

from eThAn!!!1!11!!!
Oh, srry! Yeah, u can come over. I'm downstairs watching tv, that's why I didn't answer

to eThAn!!!1!11!!!
ok, i'll see u in a lil bit

= • =

"I'm gonna go over to Ethan's and hang out, is that okay?" I was practically already out the door when I asked my mom for approval to go out.

"Yeah, just tell me if you're going to end up sleeping over, alright?" Her glance shifted from her E-reader to my eyes. "Bye, I love you."

"Love you too!" I shouted as I ran out the door and into the front lawn. The night sky twinkled above me and I breathed in the chilled, crisp air with a smile.

It'd take a short walk to get to Ethan's house. The trail that I always used required me to cut through a slightly forested area, and I'd never really thought about it until now, but it was my first time going through that forest after sundown. Kinda spooky, especially considering all of the attacks and kidnappings recently, but I tried my best not to think about it and focus on getting to my friend's house as soon as possible.

"Erica! Alright fine! You're right, it is because of Jesse, but it's not what you think!" I heard Sarah's voice yelling from just past the trees and I picked up my pace. I'd feel better once I was with someone else in my proximity.

I quickly came out of the trees and rushed down the wooden steps of the trail, but stopped once I saw Jesse, Sarah, and Erica, along with a few others standing a few feet in front of me. All of them turned around to see me, obviously having heard my footsteps. "Oh... um, I'm sorry if I interrupted anything," I said, clearly out of breath. "I just was walking alone and I got scared, so I followed the sound of someone's voice."