𝔬𝔫𝔢

Dusk.

Dusk.

Dusk.

Dusk.

In Whitechapel, that's really all that anyone was talking about. The famous vampire romance book and movie series named Dusk. The popular series was finding it's way into everyone's lives, regardless of age. For me, the only thing it seemed to bring into my life was annoyance.

I was annoyed by the movie Dusk because it consumed everyone's lives. Almost every boy and girl in Whitechapel High were too busy sticking their faces in their phones, tablets, and computers to pay attention to their teacher, or even their friends sitting right next to them. Every girl wanted to be with the dark mysterious vampire love interest, and every guy wanted to be him. Honestly, at this point, I would rather have couples making out in the hallways again.

Truth be told, I didn't mind the actual movies too much. I actually kind of liked them, at least a little bit. It was a movie about a girl just a few years older than me finding a forever true love that was willing to die (and even kill) for her. What wasn't to like?

Before I could think about the blood-sucking series any longer, my train of thought was cut off when I approached my two best friends in the middle of their conversation.

"A babysitter? For you? Classic!" The taller, dark-haired goofball known as Benny laughed. Ethan, who was a few inches shorter and a little more serious, tried his best to get him to shut up.

"Shhh, quiet down, man! Just—" Ethan looked around him in paranoia. "This kind of info could totally ruin a guy's reputation." This year, he was determined to be considered cool for once. I guess he was tired of being called a dork all of the time, and I really couldn't blame him. "And it's not for me, it's for Jane."

I tried to hold back my laugh as best I could. "Yeah, like the reputation you have is already that high up," I patted his chest and he gave me a pained frown in return. "Oh, c'mon Eth, don't take that too hard. You know I'm just messing around."

Benny tried to make the situation better, as he always did. "On the positive side, one of these hot ass chicks could totally be at your house tonight." He peered over Ethan's shoulder to check out one of the girls that was on the cheerleading squad.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. "Do you have to make everything about how hot girls are?" In reply, Benny just smiled slyly and nodded.

"All I know is that her name is Erica and she goes to this school." Ethan looked around the crowd of rushing students as if someone who looked like their name was Erica would just jump out to him. "With any luck, I can talk my parents out of it by tonight."

Before Benny and I could say anything in return, our attention shifted to the assistant principal and the students that were approaching him. I didn't know much about them, but I was pretty sure they were the Drama Club.

"Ah! Hey, Principal Hicks, let me give you a hand..." One of the boys -- who, oddly enough, looked like the shot-caller of the group -- grabbed Hicks' coffee cup out of his hands to let him finish hanging up a missing person poster. When I saw his face, my heart fluttered, and a thousand dirty thoughts danced throughout my head. He was hauntingly attractive, and sure as hell stood out from the rest of the students at my school.

"Ah, thank you, Jesse! Much better." I made a mental note of his name and silently thanked our principal in my head.

"Anything for our fearless leader." Jesse glanced at Hicks' coffee, "Do you mind?" Without a reply from him, he went ahead and took a drink and I scoffed. Mysterious, dark, and arrogant. "Ah, French roast."