Sleepwalking

Sal..
     We pulled up to Addison in the Tank. I could see that Larry was glancing at me nervously.
     He must know that this place is the location of almost all of my nightmares.
      "Are you sure little dude?" Larry asked, his voice raspy as usual.
     I let out a shaky breath and readjusted my prosthetic. "Yeah. I can't avoid it forever," I said quietly, running a hand over my hair.
     Larry nodded. "Alright, but if it gets to be too much then tell me and I'll drive you home," he said, turning in his seat to look at me.
     I nodded. "Don't worry LarBear, I will," I said as I unclipped the bottom of my mask and lifted it up to kiss him.
     Larry nodded. "Alright. Let's go see Soda then," he said with a small smile.
      I nodded and smiled under my mask before hopping out of the Tank. I rubbed my arms as the pale building loomed in front of me.
     Larry put a warm hand on my back, nodding to me before we walked into Addison.
     We made our way to Maple and Chug's apartment, neither of us talking during the short elevator ride.
     Larry knocked as I stood just behind him. There were footfalls on the other side of the door and then Maple threw open the door.
      "Hey Larry, hey Sal! Thank you guys for coming over on such short notice. My mom.." she faded off.
      Larry held up his hands. "No, it's no problem Maple. Go be where you need to be," he said with a little smile.
      I admire his ease when it comes to speaking to people, even people who are our friends.
     Maple nodded. "C'mon Chug!" She called as she slipped out the door past us. "Soda is just in her room. She should come running when she knows it's you guys though," she said with a small smile.
     Chug came around a corner and followed Maple out the door. "Good luck guys," he said as he closed the door behind him.
      The door closed with a final sounding click. I started shaking.
      "Hey, what's up?" Larry asked quietly.
      I shook my head. "Cold I guess." That wasn't it. Why was I lying to Larry?
      Oh, I'm lying because I don't know how to describe the horrible feeling that had washed over me like a black wave when I walked through the door.
      Larry sighed. "Alright. Tell me if it gets to be too much," he said quietly.
      I nodded, looking away. I don't deserve him. I don't deserve how much he cares about me.
      There were heavy footfalls and I glanced up to see Soda spin around the corner.
      "Lawwy! Sawwy Face!" She cries happily as she ran towards us.
     She hugged Larry's legs then wrapped her arms around my waist.
     "Hey Little So," Larry said happily, ruffling her hair.
     Soda bounced around with excited energy. I didn't know how she had so much and watching her attention bounce from one thing to another was exhausting.
     "Can I do your makeup?" She asked to neither of us in particular.
     Larry laughed. "I'll do it only if you do too," he teased, poking my ribs.
     I laughed a little. "Alright. You first though," I said, trying to make my voice light.
      Larry laughed. "Alright Soda, make me beautiful!" He exclaimed as he sat cross legged in front of her.
      About half an hour passed of Soda smearing cheap makeup onto Larry's face. She complained about his stumble getting in her way.
      Once she sat back smiling, Larry turned to me. "Howzit Sally Face?" He asked.
      Red lipstick smeared over his mouth and bright blue eyeshadow was put messily over his eyes. It looked like Soda drew eyebrows onto him with a sharpie.
      I gave a big thumbs up. "Amazing. Think you can make me look that good Soda?" I asked jovially.
      She nodded excitedly, scooting over to me. "No mask!" She said, putting her makeup smeared hands on her hips.
     "Are you sure Sod?" I asked her.
     She nodded. I know she's seen me without my prosthetic, it's just I don't want to scare her.
     Larry put a warm hand on my back, making sure that Soda wouldn't see this small display.
     I let out a shaky breath and unclipped my prosthetic. I lifted it off my head, smiling a little at Soda as I did.
      She pursed her lips. "Now, I'm gonna make you a goddess!" She said, taking to words I have used many times before.
      I laughed, but stilled as she started applying the makeup.
      She took a little longer with me, and I couldn't blame her. After a little while she sat back with a proud smile. "Go look!"
     I turned to Larry and he snorted a little, smiling warmly at me. I felt myself blush as I laughed.
      I stood up, helping Larry up who put Soda onto his hip and we walked to the bathroom to look in the mirror.
      Larry gasped when he saw himself, then laughed. "It looks great Soda!" He praised.
      I looked at my own face. I had pink eyeshadow on over my eyes. My slightly drooped eyelid had a little darker shade on it.
      I had red lipstick on like Larry. Soda must have gotten confused, however, because the cut that ran over my mouth and split my lip was outlined.
      I had bright pink blush on my cheeks.
     "Do you like it?" Soda asked me, noticing my hesitation.
      "I love it!" I exclaimed happily.
      Soda laughed. "Good!"