Making Moves

Sal..
Okay, so maybe I was a little rash in my claim of never drinking again. The weekend after Larry rescued me from my drunken state we were sitting on the floor of Larry's room, drinking cheep beer and smoking weed.
"Dude, no, bare with me. Do deaf people think in words?" Larry asked, leaning forward and raising his eyebrows at me.
"Yeah, of course they do," I answered, taking a swig of my beer. I still hate the taste of beer but this is fine.
Larry shook his head, some stray hairs falling from his ponytail. "No, dude like people that have always been deaf. they don't know what the words sound like so how to fuck do they think?" Larry asked, motioning wildly.
"Oh, shit dude."
"Exactly!" Larry exclaimed.
Larry sat back, looking pleased with himself. He took a drink of beer, his Adam's apple bobbing as he drank.
Since he's been at Todd and Neil's I have noticed a difference, it's not huge but it's there.
He seems more stable if that makes sense. His hair looks semi clean and the bags under his eyes don't look like dark bruises.
He still wears the same like three outfits but hey, so do I.
"Hey, I've been meaning to ask you, what're your plans now that we're all graduated?" Larry asked, staring at the wall in front of him.
I sighed heavily. "I'm not sure. I really don't want to deal with any of that right now. I just feel so tired," I said quietly, staring down at my can.
I heard Larry shift. "Dude, when is the last time you've slept through the night?" He asked gently.
I laughed a little humourlessly. "The night I got drunk. Before that I can't remember," I said, fiddling with the undone bottom strap of my mask.
I've been wearing it more often than not now because I don't want Larry or anyone to see how worn out I am.
The most I have slept in a night was two and a half hours. I have also been getting horrible sleep paralysis.
The room that Todd and Neil gave to me is just beside Larry's so I'm sure he hears me when I get up a thousand times in the middle of the night.
"Can I help?" Larry asked gently, his deep voice soft.
I shrugged. "Start drugging me so I can sleep?" I offered looking up to meet his eyes.
He shook his head, thinking for a second. "What if you came in here? I could sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor, but at least then I'm right there if you need me," he offered, a small smile on his face.
I shook my head. "I couldn't kick you off of your own bed Lar," I said.
"What if we shared it then?" He asked, his cheeks growing a little red.
I felt a flutter in my stomach and my face flushed as well.
"I'm okay with that," I said quietly, leaning a little towards Larry.
He put his hand on the side of my face, leaning a little closer as he started to pull up my mask.
"Hey guys, could one of you help me for a sec, I dropped a book," Ash said as she knocked and opened the door.
Larry and I jumped apart. He dropped my mask and it hit my face, causing me to wince.
I felt my face burn like I had just started a fire under my prosthetic.
Larry stood. "Yeah, I'll go get it for ya Ash," he said as he slipped out the door.
"Did I interrupt something?" Ash asked, a knowing grin on her face.
"N-no, nothing at all," I said, my voice cracking slightly.
Ash laughed at my weak attempt at keeping my cool. "Sally Fisher I can see the blush from under your mask. Now, tell me, do you have the hots for Larry?" She asked, squatting down to my level and poking my ribs.
I squirmed a little. "Ash.."
"Ah! You do! Oh I knew it! Todd owes Neil and I five bucks," she laughed, her eyes sparkling.
"Don't you dare say anything or I will flay you into bologna, ms. Pakerton style," I threatened, my voice still shaky.
Ash threw up her hands, still laughing. "No need to get violent. Sorry to interrupt. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again," she winked at me, a wry grin on her face.
I sighed, rubbing my eyes under my mask. "I swear to god Ash.."
"He likes you too you pussy, just go for it," she whispered aggressively as footsteps came our way.
"Is this the book?" Larry asked, holding out what seemed to be a photo album.
Ash jumped up. "Yessir. Thanks a bunch," she said as she snatched the book from Larry's hands and bolted down the hall.
"Her room is a mess, and that's coming from me," Larry laughed as he closed the door.
He flopped down again. "What were you two girls gossiping about," he teased, bumping me with his shoulder.
I laughed. "You. It seems you have a secret admirer," I cooed.
I don't know why I'm going about it this way, but y'know what I'm gonna have to come clean. Plus, what's a better time than when you've got a buzz?
Larry laughed a little. "And who would that be?" He asked.
I shook my head. "You'll have to guess."
"Only if you take the mask off so I know if you're lying," Larry said, nodding to my face.
"Fine," I said as I pulled the mask off.
I ran a hand over my hair as Larry started to guess random people from when we went to school.
"Come on dude you have to give me a hint," Larry said after exhausting a fair amount of names.
"It's a dude," I said, stamping down the rising fear of rejection.
Larry raised an eyebrow. "Travis?"
I burst out into laughter. "You wish, but no."
Larry shook his head. "Dude I've guessed everyone that I know!"
"Not everyone."
"Huh? You mean like not like Todd, Neil, Ash, or you? Cause those are the only people I haven't said yet," he said, raising an eyebrow.
I shrugged, trying to seem like he wasn't very close to knowing my secret.
"I'm gonna take a wild guess, and punch me if I'm wrong but..." he faded off as he put a hand on my cheek and pulled me close.
He smelled like weed and cologne. I felt my eyes widen as he pressed his lips to mine.
I felt myself melt. I closed my eyes, wrapping my arms around his neck as I leaned closer to him.
Larry's other hand was on the small of my back.
We pulled back for air, but I wished that the kiss would never end. Larry smirked a little. "So I was right. Score," he said with a deep chuckle.
I felt myself blush a darker red, and I just stayed quiet because I didn't trust my voice.
Larry laughed. "Well, you'll be pleased to know that I feel the same," he said, his voice deeper than usual.
I smiled. "That's good news. Now, can we do that again?" I asked breathlessly.
Larry laughed. "Of course," he purred, pulling me onto his lap before kissing me again.
He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close. I grabbed his face and deepened the kiss, loving the feeling of butterflies that he gave me.
When we pulled back for air Larry shifted so I was on my back and he was over me.
I was still blushing hard as Larry trailed his lips down my jaw and neck. I let out a little noise as he hit my sweet spot.
He chuckled a little, returning his lips to mine.
"Larry your mom is on the- sweet evil cult! Sorry!" Ash said as she walked in and quickly out of the room.
Larry jumped back, laughing a little nervously.
"Sal when I said go for it I didn't know you'd take it that far," Ash said from her place outside of the door.
"What did you need Ash?" I asked, sitting up.
"Larry your mom is on the phone in the kitchen but I can say to call back," Ash said, turning around and laughing a little.
Larry stood up. "No, I'll go see what she wants," he said as he slipped past Ash.
She leaned on the doorway. "Dude. I did not think you would actually take my advice. But I mean, I told you he likes you too," she said, smiling impishly.
I put my burning face in my hands. "You have impeccable timing today," I mumble.
"Sal, how do you think I feel?" She laughed.
"Fair enough," I laughed.
There were heavy footsteps coming our way. Larry turned the corner, his eyes troubled as he ran a hand over his now very messy ponytail.
"What's wrong?" Ash asked, clearly seeing Larry's troubled expression.
Larry glanced to me, shifting from foot to foot.
"Sal, it's your dad. Someone broke into his apartment and they tried to.. to hurt him. He managed to hold his ground but now he's in the hospital," Larry said, his voice uncertain.
I felt the happy feeling in my chest whither up and fall. I felt a looming sense of dread fill my chest in its stead.
      "Oh no! That's terrible. I'll leave you two, if you need anything Sal, let me know," Ash said, her voice sad as she backed from the room.
     Larry squatted down in front of me. "Are you alright dude?" He asked, his voice gentle.
     I shook my head no. My dad is the only family I have left. Mom is gone and I haven't seen any of my other family since way before that.
     I should have been there, but instead I was here just because my friends are here.
     My nightmares aren't even better here, I still get them.
     Larry dropped to his knees and held out his arms a little. I flung myself into his embrace, burying my face in his chest as I started to shake and tears started to run down my face.
     Larry wrapped his arms around me, resting his chin on my head. "How about we go see him? I'll drive you and I'll be here for you every step of the way," he said, his voice just barely above a whisper.
     I nodded, wiping my eyes under my mask. Larry tutted. "Dude, that can't be comfortable," he said as he unclipped my mask slowly, giving me time to protest.
     He set my prosthetic aside, smiling a little sadly at me as he wiped my tears with the pad of his thumb.
     "Thank you Larry," I said quietly, not trusting my voice any louder than this.
     He nodded. "I'll grab you a sweater, then we can go?" He said, pulling back a little to get up.
     I nodded, wrapping my arms around myself when Larry's warmth left me. I was still shaking.
     I felt horrible. My heart was pounding in my throat, making me feel sick. My head ached and my throat burnt with still unshed tears.
     Larry handed me one of his large sweaters. I pulled it over my head with a mumbled thank you.
     I pulled the hood up around my messy hair. Larry grabbed my prosthetic and handed it to me before leading the way to the Tank.
     We got in and started the drive to the hospital in silence.
     "I didn't want to be anywhere near that goddamned hospital so soon after..." I faded off, my voice shaking.
     It seems that the universe has it out for me lately. First Larry, now my dad.
     "I'm so sorry Sally. I don't know what came over me and I shouldn't have-" Larry's voice was shaking now and I could tell he was fighting off tears.
     He never cries or admits weakness like this. His actions must really be eating at him.
     I put my hand on his leg. "Larry, it's okay. Just don't do anything to scare me like that again," I said, waggling my finger at him.
     He laughed a little. "I won't. You're stuck with me until the end of our days now!" He said, smiling wryly at me.
     I laughed a little. Larry flicked on the radio and we drove the rest of the way in silence.
     Larry grabbed my hand and lead me up to the ward that my dad was in. I'm glad I had ahold of him to ground me or else I'm scared of what would happen.
      Lisa was in the waiting room of the area where my dad was. She stood when she saw us, motioning for us to come over.
     "Hey Sal, how're ya doing?" She asked softly once we were in front of her.
     I leaned into Larry's side, suddenly exhausted and lightheaded. This is too much like before.
     "I'm okay," I mumbled, keeping my eyes down.
     Lisa glanced to Larry and then back to me. "They said your dad is doing good. The crook didn't have anything more than a small knife on them, and they missed while using it," she said, her voice soft and motherly.
     I nodded. This doesn't feel real. Any minute now I'll wake up in my bed and this will have been another nightmare.
     Well, maybe not what happened before...
     I felt myself blush a little.
     "Are you sure you're alright Sal?" Lisa asked, putting a gentle hand on the cheek of my mask and guiding my eyes up to her.
     I sighed. "I just don't feel well. I'll be okay, thank you Lisa," I said, my voice still quiet.
     She nodded. "You can go see your dad, but because it's after visiting hours I'm afraid only you can go," she said.
     I nodded. Larry wrapped an arm around my shoulder and squeezed me a little. "You got this lil dude, text me if you need me okay?" He said, smiling a little down at me.
     I nodded, stepping away and starting towards the door that Lisa pointed me towards.
     My legs felt like they were made of lead and my stomach felt like it was twisting itself into a knot.
     The door was open a crack when I came up to it. My dad was reading a newspaper on his bed. A stark white bandage wrapped around his forehead and his right eye.
     I slowly opened the door, peeking my head in.
     "Sally? Is that you? Come on in son," my dad said, smiling at me from the bed.
     I slipped in through the crack in the door I had made. I sat in the chair beside the bed.
     "What happened?" I asked, my voice shaky.
     My dad folded the newspaper and set it on the table beside him. He sighed. "I heard something and thought it was Gizmo at first so I checked your room and he was in there sleeping so I went and checked the rest of the apartment. There was a guy dressed in all black. He had a little knife. I noticed that he had one of your old masks on, but I knew it wasn't you because he was a fair bit taller and didn't have your hair," he said, watching me carefully for a reaction.
     "What happened after that?" I asked, not sure I wanted to know but I'm already here.
     My dad shook his head. "Don't worry about it Sal, I'm alright okay? I appreciate that you came to see me though," he said with a smile.
     I smiled under my mask. "Well, I missed you, but there could have been better circumstances under me visiting you," I said with a little laugh.
     "Yeah but now I'll have a cool battle scar. We'll match," my dad said with a warm smile.
     I laughed a little. "We'll have to get you a mask too, and we can like paint a beard onto it," I said with a chuckle.