Chapter Forty Seven

Start from the beginning

On my way to the Feed Shed, with Phoenix tagging along behind Me, to make good on my promise to give my Horse a treat, I selected a couple of the photos I'd taken of Phoenix wearing the sheet and sent them in a text to Blayze, unable to resist.
I looked up from my phone in time to see that I was about to walk straight into Zuke.
"Look our Zuke!"
I half exclaimed, half scolded, quickly sidestepping.
It took me a moment to realise my Dog was intently focused on something ahead.
The.
God.
Damn.
Chickens.
I couldn't help but laugh!
Zuke was three years old this year and still not over the dreaded Chicken's.
"Awe watch out Zuke!"
I teased him.
With a whine, my Dog turned around quickly, tail between his legs and came to stand beside my leg's.
Broooook, brook, brook, brook.
I looked forward to see a white chook with black patches throughout its body boldly making its way towards us.
It's true what they say.
Animal's can definitely sense fear.
All my life I'd believed Chicken's to be too pea brained to go up against anything, but every damn Hen or Rooster on this property seemed to know Zuke was ridiculously frightened of them.
He was the only Dog that the Chook's would actually approach.
A Dog like Azlan merely had to give them a certain look and they would head for their coop.
Not Zuke.
I'd even seen him literally jump up into Blayze's arm's when three Chicken's ganged up on him, clucking away as they closed in.
"Wazzamadda Zuke?"
I asked, trying hard not to let my laughter be heard as I leaned down and with my non rope holding left hand, ruffled his ear's.
This approaching Chicken was a six pack short.
It was on its own but was still closing in on a Dog, Human and Horse.
Normally the bird's only dared to come any closer than about ten feet when they at least had three of them against the one poor Zuke.
His terror of the Bird's was baffling, but at least it didn't extend to the Sheep, Cattle or Horses.
He was an excellent Farm Dog and Family Pet aside from his acute fear of Poultry.
"Go get her Zukey."
I urged, trying to offer my Dog some confidence.
The Chook kept coming, giving a curious cluck, with her head tipped to the side.
Behind me, Phoenix snorted.
The curious Chicken was now less than six feet away from us.
I could scare her off, but a big part of Me wanted to see what would happen.
Broooook.
The bird had now broached the six foot distance mark.
Zuke yelped a high pitched sound that you would hardly believe could possibly come from a forty kilogram Dog.
The curious Chook stepped closer.
Zuke spun.
I could just imagine my Dog taking off, making what should have been the predator be the one running from the prey.
I heard the scampering of Zuke's paw's and shook my head.
So much for the big and tough American Staffy cross Kelpie we thought we would have-
What the hell was that noise?
The Chicken stopped her advance and actually stayed quiet.
A soft snort sounded from Phoenix.
Unaware of what I might find, but curious, I held my breath and very slowly turned around.
There was no Zuke in-
My eyes nearly bugged out of my head!
Phoenix stood with just barely splayed legs, one ear tipped forward and the other angled slightly backward's.
Zuke was sitting on Phoenix's back, half crouched as he stared down toward's the bold, now silent Chicken.
What.
The.
Hell?
Not wanting to let this weird and spectacular moment pass without some form of evidence, I scrambled to get my phone activated onto the camera.
Deciding that video would work best and I could always screenshot a few good pictures later, I quickly activated the video function and tapped the button to record.
Phoenix released a sighing breath.
Zuke looked ready to bail, then I watched his posture relax as well.
My Dog sat up straighter, opened his mouth into a Doggy Grin and he looked out at the world around him from the new height of horseback.
"This day is just filled with one bizarre thing after another."
I muttered to nobody in particular.
Phoenix hadn't made a move to throw Zuke and my Horse actually even seemed mostly relaxed.
"I think I owe you a handful of grain and an Apple, don't I Phoenix."
I mused.
My horse just blinked his big brown eyes.
Zuke let out a large, squeaky yawn.
"I'm still trying to work out how the hell Zuke managed to jump all the way up there..."
I wondered out loud.
Normally he only just seems to manage leaping into the tray of any of the Ute's!
Finally the pesky Chicken clucked.
Phoenix angled his head to eye the irritating bird.
Zuke closed his mouth, curled his top lip back and gave a low but not particularly ferocious growl.
Phoenix didn't seem bothered by Zuke's noise, but he licked his lips, lowered his head to about just below chest level and started to walk.
Zuke braced himself for a moment, then seemed to find his balance, used to riding in the tray's of the various Ute's on the property.
I stepped out of Phoenix's way, curious about what he was up to.
My horse lowered his head further, pinned his ear's to the back of his head and quickened his pace.
The once bold Chicken flapped her wings and high tailed it back the way she'd come from.
Phoenix slowed his walk, then stopped, his neck, head and ear's returning to a relaxed position.
Zuke let out a squeaky yawn that almost sounded Puppy like.
Grinning, I tapped the button to stop recording.
Now... how was I going to get Zuke down from Phoenix's back?
It probably wasn't a great idea for my Dog to jump down from over sixteen hand's high worth of Horse.
"What the hell kind of a Circus are you running?"
An all too familiar voice questioned from somewhere not too far behind Me.
Bingo!
Blayze can help get Zuke down!
I turned around to find my Cowboy walking toward's us along the front of the Tack and Feed Shed's, his hat pushed back so I could see his face and a dark eyebrow raised in question.
"I'll explain."
I told him.
"But first can you get Zuke down? I don't particularly want him to jump..."
Blayze fixed his hat, moved around me, gave Phoenix a pat, then wrapped his arm's around Zuke and eased him off Phoenix's back.
Phew.
Phoenix released a breath at the same time as me.
Blayze bent down and set Zuke back onto the floor where the Dog belonged.
Before Blayze could straighten up again, Zuke popped up onto his hind legs and flicked his tongue out to lick Blayze's cheek.
While Blayze pulled a disgruntled face, I laughed and Zuke gave a yap like bark before spinning on his haunches and taking off around the side of the Feed Shed, no doubt headed for the safety of our Home.
"Wanna hold Phoenix for a sec, while I pop into the shed and grab him the treat I promised?"
I asked, smiling sweetly as I approached my soon to be Husband.
"Why would I need to hold him? He knows how to ground tie."
Blayze replied, folding his arms across his chest.
"Be a sport!"
I retorted, tossing the end of Phoenix's lead rope towards him.
Blayze caught it easily, but rolled his eyes.
"Thank you!"
I chirped, turning on my heel to slip into the Feed Shed.