Chapter Forty Seven

Start from the beginning

Blayze might be the Wizard with Horses, but He was right about one thing.
Phoenix and I had been bonded since He was a couple of days old.
It was my job to deal with the current issue at hand.
In the nicest possible way that I could, I'd kissed Blayze and asked him to get lost.
With only Zuke as my spectator now—I was assuming Noah had gone back to the House to help Mum with the Babies—, I set the sheet in a crumpled heap beside my feet and turned to face Phoenix.
My precious Golden Child now eyed Me with slightly weary curiosity.
Yes, to him I'd probably looked like I'd suffered a mental breakdown, plopping to the arena floor in a sobbing mess.
But Blayze was right about one other thing.
I had to Cowgirl the hell Up.
Since my earliest day's I'd been warned that 'thing's don't just get done by looking at 'em'.
Phoenix wasn't going to get used to the sheet if I just sat on the floor and cried about it.
"Okay Phoenix."
I sucked in a deep, steadying breath.
"The sheet is nothing but a big thing of fabric. In fact, it's basically like your summer rug's you very occasionally wear, it's just that it doesn't have any straps or buckles on it and the fabric is actually quite a bit lighter."
I explained.
My Horse tipped one ear forward, the other to the side in an almost mule like gesture and he blinked.
"I'm going to prove to you that Mister Sheet is harmless."
I stated, placing my hands on my hips.
Phoenix tipped his forward facing ear to the side, his expression now definitely imitating a Mule!
Well, a bit of stubbornness was definitely easier to deal with than animated and exaggerated fear.
"We're going to get started now."
I warned.
A part of Me wanted to suggest to Phoenix that it would be awesome if he would comply without too much hassle and let me actually drape the sheet over him, because I still needed to get home and get Blayze's Cake and Birthday Dinner organised.
But I knew that type of mindset wouldn't work.
I remembered Blayze telling Me: 'if you go at it like you've got five minutes, then it'll take you all day'.
"Blayze hates his Birthday."
I informed Phoenix.
"So he won't care if we wind up having Soup and Toasted Sandwiches for Dinner."
I smiled to myself as I approached my Horse, for now leaving the sheet behind.
Blayze would mind and there was no way I would make him have that as Dinner, especially on his Birthday, but Phoenix didn't need to know that.
My Horse pricked his ear's and bobbed his head at Me.
"Let's reminds each other that we're not the enemy before we get down to business."
I suggested, opening my arms up.
Phoenix turned his head so that he slung his chin over my shoulder.
I wrapped my arms around my Horse's sturdy neck, closed my eyes and breathed in his familiar Horsey scent that had dirt mingled with it.

My heart was about to burst with pride!
The smile I couldn't wipe was borderline making my cheek's ache.
The edges of the white bed sheet rippled gently in the Autumn breeze that rustled the leaves on the tree's that surrounded the arena, but Phoenix apparently didn't mind.
"One more!"
I informed him, moving to get a picture on my phone from a different angle.
Phoenix's pricked ear's drooped to the side in typical Mule form.
He was over the photos.
"Awe c'mon!"
I insisted, very nearly kneeling on the arena floor.
One of Phoenix's ear's tipped forward.
I quickly took a photo.
"Two ear's?"
I asked, my finger poised on the screen to take another picture.
Phoenix shot me an almost glare that I was certain said 'you just said one more' before he turned his head away from Me.
I couldn't help but giggle.
I had my photographic evidence of what we finally achieved Today.
I was just being a little greedy.
"Alright, I'll stop being a pest."
I assured the Horse, climbing back onto my feet.
He turned his head back to watch Me, both ear's now pricked to listen.
"But on the Wedding Day you're gonna have to be ready for a lot more."
I warned, sliding my phone into the right side rear pocket of my jeans as I walked up to my Horse.
Phoenix blinked and let a long breath out through his nose.
"You're a good boy!"
I informed him, giving his forehead a rub.
"I'll take that sheet off you now and sneak you a handful of Lucerne or grain before I take you back to the paddock."
I told him, giving his neck a rub as I made my way down to his side to slide the sheet off his back.