three

part three:

second best

 "Ashton, I am so sorry." She spluttered, digging through her bag for her keys.

"Don't worry about it, Belle." She slowed down her busy movements, and let her hand fall on her forehead. The faint blush across her cheeks grew when her eyes met his forgiving smile. He placed his hand on her lower back, attempting to lead her down the stairs and out of the building.

"I just feel the need to apologize. I really did not expect my father to call out the dogs on me." They both chuckled as they had finally met the end of the stairs, and Ashton's hand fell from the small of her back when the door opened, and it was just the two of them left under the archway. His arm instinctively fell against the wall, trapping Belle between him. Both of their gazes softening as they looked at each other.

"Well, please let Mamé Adelle know you were well taken care of." He snickered, Belle following suit soon after.

"I'll be sure to deliver the message." Belle nodded, laughing lightly. The two soon fell into a comfortable silence, Ashton gazing down at her. He had taken note that every time he looked at her, he found something new that he hadn't noticed before. The first time they met, it was the beauty marks speckled across her face and neck, and now, it was the faint scar that went straight through her right eyebrow. He played connect the dots with the beauty marks across her face, his thumb caressing the skin under her eye.The red tint to her cheeks deepened as she shied away from the curious touch, and cleared her throat.

"I owe you a dinner." Ashton sent her a lazy smile, finding her to be contagious. He nodded, leaning back and digging his hand into his pocket to bring out his phone, not wanting to rely on fate for another chance encounter. Belle obliged, typing in her number quickly, trying to ignore the flock of butterflies that had just taken flight in her stomach at the thought of him wanting to see her again, even if it was just as friends. "I promise, I won't let it happen again." She joked, letting his giggle echo through the empty street.

"I'll hold you to it." Belle slowly began to walk toward the street, until Ashton grabbed her wrist, pulling her back under the archway. "Are you absolutely sure you don't want me to walk you home?" Belle nodded easily.

"I'll be okay, but thank you for the offer. It's a nice night for a walk, no?" Ashton agreed, and pulled her in for a goodbye hug, allowing him to wish her safe travels. Pulling away, Belle began to back up, Ashton not yet letting go of her hand.

"I'll be seeing you, Belle." He said, finally letting her hand free as he leaned back against the wall, watching her walk away. She turned her head over her shoulder to see his eyes still studying her.

"I'll be seeing you, Ashton." With one last wave, her eyes focused back in front of her, but as Belle crossed the street, she watched Ashton out of the corner of her eye lean further into building with his hands stuffed into his pockets, still watching her as she left.

Not moments after Belle had disappeared down the street, Giselle came from the opposite direction.

"Selle?" He clarified, as her heels quickly came closer to him. "What are you doing here? I thought we agreed you should call beforehand?" Giselle rolled her eyes as he opened the door to go up to his apartment, escorting her to the front door.

"What? Are we animals? Do I need to ask permission to drop in on an old friend?" She laughed sarcastically, walking into the apartment behind him, slamming the door shut behind her. "Besides, I'm sorry. I really didn't think you would have company."