1.01-The Rising

LAKE COMO, ITALY

A GREAT PLACE TO SPEND A VACATION...OR SELL A WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION

Riley Davis steps out of the rented BMW, smoothing the skirt of her figure-hugging, shimmery black dress around her legs. On the pretense of pushing back her carefully straightened hair, she switches her comms live.

"Hey gorgeous, you clean up well." Nick Carpenter. Former NSA, top of his class in intel analysis...and interrogation techniques. Riley smirks.

"I kinda miss my messy bun and leather jacket, though." Yeah, the glamorous life of the super-spy. Riley's never been too into this get-dolled-up-and-make-a-statement side of the business. But she can't exactly crash a high-end gala in ripped skinny jeans and a frowzy ponytail. Still she'll be glad to ditch this revealing gown as soon as possible.

"I miss that jacket too." The way Nick says it, Riley knows he's remembering certain times she's worn it...

"Hey kids, I can hear you, you know that right?" Jack Dalton. Former Delta Force, CIA, and my handler. And basically my dad.

"Ok, we'll save it for later," Nick says, and Riley can hear the promise of an after-successful-mission celebration. But first I have to go save the world. Because that's my job.

Riley Davis. Hacker, CIA prodigy, now employed by a secret agency called DXS. Jack, Nick and I are the top team they have. Which is why we're here tonight. Intel places a major WMD sale going down at this gala, tonight.

Riley gracefully climbs the steps, handing over her handbag to the stern-faced guard at the door. After checking it, he hands it back, and Riley pulls out her phone, pretending to check for any messages.

To them, it's just a cell phone. To me, it's everything I need to finish this mission. Riley slips the phone back in her handbag and looks up at the tall, dark haired woman coming down the stairs.

Patricia Thornton. One of the greatest minds in the espionage field. Which is why you've never heard of her.

"It's good to see you again, Ms. Elcar," Riley says, taking a champagne glass from a tray and sipping lightly.

"You really ought to give the art gallery a look, it's quite impressive." Patty glances around the room, then leans in. "That door." She glances to one that's guarded by two massive guys in suits, with comms clearly in. "I trust you can take it from here?" Riley nods, smiling, and moves away.

You know how hospitals have those rules about not using cell phones in the rooms because it might interfere with a machine? Well, the same is true of comms. If you're able to properly modify your phone...

Riley walks past the guards, who are now bent over pulling their earpieces out, and into a small alcove. It's fairly easy to find the hidden door. What's less easy is the scanner.

"Nick, you said the blueprints were for a T-45 single-print scanner. This is a whole-hand model." Riley can hear Nick typing frantically.

"He must have updated security. Riley, can you hack it?"

"Only one way to find out." She jacks her phone into the system and gets to work. It takes longer than it should, but then the door slides open with a soft beep.

Inside there's a small canister bathed in a blue glow. "Guys, it's not a bomb. I don't know what it is." There's a biohazard symbol. Most likely some kind of virus. I've heard some dark web chatter about something they found recently that's some sort of ancient superbug. This might be it.