CHAPTER 7 ~ The book

Start from the beginning

She took a couple deep breaths, avoiding the woman's piercing gaze. Then her lips parted as she asked, 'What do I have to do?'

***

When Sonia heard the first couple of knocks, she was combing her hair. She let the comb slip inside and empty drawer and approached the door.

'Hey, it's me,' Pierre's voice echoed behind the door. 'I just wanna talk.'

Sonia opened the door and stood in front of Pierre, blocking his way. She flipped her hair to the back of her shoulder and looked into his eyes. 'What do you want?' she asked, hoping to get rid of him easily.

'Won't you let me come in?' he wondered.

Sonia stepped aside and he passed by her. She shut the door a bit harder than she should have. 'Again, what do you want?' she asked, dropping her voice.

'I just- I ... You know, you can be as mad at me as you want. I'm used to you losing your temper all the time. Just let me ask you one thing!' Pierre bellowed.

'Came here to insult me, did you?' she asked but Pierre remained calm and put-together. 'Go ahead then,' she added and her eyes challenged his. She crossed her arms under her chest and raised an eyebrow.

'I want to know if you're sure about this; everything. Our plans, leaving, are you okay with how things turned out?' he asked and took two steps toward her.

'I'm not sure I'm following,' she admitted.

'I mean, are you scared, nervous? Do you have any doubts about coming with us?' he explained.

'No, no, I'm just a little nervous and that's all,' she answered looking back at him in suspicion. 'Why are you asking me all this?' she asked next. Her voice had dropped but Pierre knew she was looking for an answer. 'Do you want me to stay out of this so desperately?'

'I just want to make sure you won't blame it on us if anything happens to you,' he answered, his eyes glowing from anger.

'Oh, so that's it?' she asked, still not convinced. 'I'll be fine. I'm not gonna blame you, you can be sure of that,' Sonia turned her back at him and stared at the wall.

'I thought you were looking forward to taking the tests,' Pierre said softly, trying not to wind her up even more.

'We both were,' she answered and turned to look into his silver eyes.

'What changed?' he asked without receiving an answer. 'What changed?' he demanded.

'Everything changed, Pierre! Everything! The little bubble I've been living in just popped! I don't want to be an overachiever anymore. I don't want to have a decent job and a house with a garden. I want what I deserve! I want freedom!' she yelled at him and at that moment she felt more powerful than ever, her words as sincere as they ever got.

'I know exactly what you mean. But what happened with Alex just-'

'You should go now,' she said and lowered her head, averting her eyes from his. She would not let him see her cry. 'Just go!' she panted and turned her back at him again.

A one-minute silence followed during which Pierre grabbed Sonia's favourite book from the shelf next to him and hid it inside his shirt before he exited the tension of her bedroom.

He paced backwards and left the room. 'I'm sorry,' he whispered on the closed door in front of him. 'I'm so sorry.'

***

Edith's head turned around at the sound of Lucas' voice calling her name from across the crowded hallway. He quickly came and lingered next to her as most of the students were leaving the hallway in large groups, all talking loudly.