"I have to admit that I was skeptical at first but you were right." I reflected solicitously, finding a comfortable position on the chair in front of my grandfather-in-law.

"Told you, boy." He replied with the same smugness in his voice earlier. "Trust this old man with this matter. I know how to make my grandchildren dance with my tune. You don't know how happy I am with this turn of events with your relationship with Ruby."

"Like I said, a big thanks to you, sir."

"You don't know how happy I am when I learned that you and Ruby are already married long before she went home. It's always my dream to see them married by now and Ruby just fulfilled my dream." He went on saying openly his desire to see all of his granddaughters be married before this year ends. It just so happened that he set his eyes first on Red.

"I am always grateful that you help me bind your granddaughter to me. She's the most reluctant woman I've ever met. When she sets her mind into something it would be hella difficult to change her mind."

"What can you expect?" Daniel answered with laughter in his voice. "The St. Clair blood runs in her."

"You might be right," I observed after a moment.

My wife's grandfather clapped his hands together. "Well, that's very good news, indeed. Do you think it's too early for a glass of whiskey?"

He was about to pour the glasses on his table with the amber liquid when I shook my head, regretfully. "Thank you for the offer but I have to pass. I don't feel like celebrating just yet since she hasn't given me her answer yet."

"I know she'll agree with your offer."

I nodded sincerely hoping for that too. "I hope so. The other reason why I met with you is that I want to tell Ruby about our real association."

Daniel stopped from pouring himself a glass of whiskey. "You're going to tell her that? Knowing Ruby I don't think we'll like her reaction after hearing it."

"Still," I told him with determination inside me. I don't want to lie with my wife anymore. "I want to be honest with her. I don't want to learn about this association of ours after few years and accuse me of being dishonest with her. It might be the reason for her leave me. I want to tell her first hand."

My grandfather-in-law studied me for a moment. "Do you think it's the best idea?"

I nodded, not sure how my wife would take this revelation. But I want to gamble my luck in this since I want her to stay by my side for the rest of my life. "Not the best idea but the only way to have Ruby in my life, sir."

He stared at me with unreadable eyes. "Well, good luck with that, son."

"Thanks." I need all the luck I could get, I guess. I stood from my chair and stared at one of the most powerful men in America. "I need to go, sir. I need time to prepare myself for this confession of a lifetime. But let me clear this, I did not regret even once that you somehow help me to be with my wife again. Given a chance I might as well ask for your help again when it comes to dealing with my reluctant wife."

A delightful expression crossed his expressive eyes. "That's what I like about you, lad. You know how to boost an old man's ego."

"I'll see you soon," I announced taking my leave from his library. Once I was outside the magnificent manor. I took a deep breath and mentally prepared myself for the confession I was about to do with my Red.

After a long drive going back to the city. In the end, I didn't go home immediately instead I went to see the realtor to finished all the paper works for the new penthouse I was planning on buying. I finally arrived back home close to five in the afternoon. Once I was inside the apartment I saw my wife sitting on the sofa probably waiting for me.

My eyebrows furrowed together when I saw the luggage on her side.

What's going on? I asked myself silently as my heart gave a weird thud.

Red stood from the sofa and stared at me with bleak eyes. I knew from that instant that something was wrong. "Let's divorce, Roman."

Her words felt like someone just throw a bucket of cold water at me. I couldn't believe my ears only this morning we were just fine. What the hell happened to her in the hours that we're apart? I swallowed hard trying to reason out her estranged behavior. "What's going on, Red?"

She looked at me with lifeless eyes. It seems as if she's a completely different person. "I cannot do this anymore. Let's separate ways I'm tired of this relationship already."

I could see my world crashing right before my very eyes. This couldn't be happening to us. I thought that we're ready to face the next chapter of our lives? What about our plans for the future? Didn't we just agree to buy the penthouse only yesterday?

"What's with the sudden decision, wife?" My voice sounded hoarse even in my ears. I swallowed hard, trying to clear my throat. I tried to close the distance between us but she stop me with her hand.

"Please, stop." She said, raising her hand in front of me. "Don't come any closer. I don't want you nearby to me."

"What's going on, dearest?" I asked again because I felt like I step into another dimension. This was the last thing I expected when I came home.

She stared at me with such hatred in her eyes. I never thought I could see such an expression in her eyes. "Stop playing me for a fool, Roman. I already know everything."

"What?"

"Are you going to deny the fact that you are teaming up with Daniel to pull strings on me?" She accused.

I think my heart just stop from beating. This was not what I expecting when I come home. My secret from her would come back to bite me in the ass. I should have told her sooner. "Red..." I swallowed hard. "...let me explain. It's not what you think."

She crossed her hand in the middle of her chest. "What do I think?"

I never felt more nervous in my life than I feel right now. This conversation went straight to hell real quick. "W-where did you learn about this?"

"Does it matter?" She asked coldly.

"I want to know," I told her miserably. Right now, I want to hold her in my arms but I know that was next to impossible as she probably hates me right now. And I couldn't blame anyone other than myself because of this stupid mistake. "Please, who told you this?"

She looked at me for a long moment before answering. Beneath her strong appearance that she's trying to show at me, I knew how hurt she must be. "I heard it myself. I went to my grandfather's estate and I overhear your conversation at the library. So save yourself from the lies you're going to say to me."

"Please hear me out, my love." I almost beg at her but her resolve won't infiltrate. I knew my wife very well in the short time we've been together.

She shook her head resolutely. "I don't have time for this, Roman." She said picking her luggage in her side. "I will send the divorce paper as soon as I can. Goodbye. I hope to never see your face ever again."

"Ruby, please..." I pleaded softly, holding her hand to prevent her leaving—hell, from leaving me, that is. "...please let me talk to you first. Please, my love..."

My wife just remove my hand and walk towards the door without as much as a backward glance. I was left staring at her wake with moisture in my eyes. I probably deserved this but...

Damn it to hell, I can't lose her.

I can't. I repeated with such conviction. I can't bear to lose the woman I love.