Ch 49 Paul

"That's a generous way of putting it," he thought as he continued looking at Dawn wearing a daydream expression on her face.

"I guess I haven't heard the good ones, maybe...?" May assumed in a shy tone.

"No, you've heard his best," Ash confirmed disappointingly. "I think she's just a big fan, that's all."

Suddenly, the laboratory door behind Dawn opened abruptly and out came the person they came to see.

"What's with the ruckus outside my lab?" Professor Rowan huffed irritatingly. He glanced swiftly at the teens around and changed his expression when he saw the blue-haired girl. "Dawn? Were you the one hollering?"

"O-Oh, I'm sorry, professor," she sincerely apologized. "I just got excited over something my friends said." Dawn then realized something. She moved aside and gestured the professor to view her companions. "These are my new friends I made yesterday. I'm going to be traveling with them through the Sinnoh Region."

"Hmm, it's nice to meet you all," Rowan said after everyone introduced themselves. He then walked over to stand in front of Ash and Pikachu before he continued. "I knew who you were when I first saw you, Ash. I've heard a great deal about you from Samuel—to say he praises you highly would be an understatement."

Ash merely smiled and replied truthfully. "Well, I've learned plenty from Professor Oak to be grateful for."

"He told me you were in the Sinnoh Region a few months back. He believed that you visited my laboratory then, but I told him no, which surprised him greatly. Was there any specific reason you didn't?"

Everyone glanced at Ash after hearing the professor's statement. May, especially, was intently regarding Ash—not knowing what to make of it.

"So, he did come to Sinnoh by himself," she grasped in her thoughts. "I guess that explains all the new Pokémon he has...the question is why? If he didn't challenge the gyms, was he here just to catch Pokémon? But why couldn't he wait until now?" May heard Ash reply that he was just passing by and too busy to visit. "There has to be a reason why..."

"Very well." The old man was satisfied with the response and figured he should address the real reason he approached the trainer. "I'd like to ask you for a small favor," he began. "There's a young man around your age in my lab looking to battle a couple of trainers. After hearing the way you were from Samuel, I assumed you and Dawn would show up today to clear up the misunderstanding with Pikachu and visit my lab, so I told him to wait while you both arrived. Seeing that there are more of you, however, I'll let you decide amongst yourselves who will battle him. That is if you accept my offer..."

"Of course, professor," Ash gladly inclined. "I have a feeling I know who it is, too."

Rowan nodded and asked them to follow him inside the lab to make their way to his outer facility in the back. As they were walking through the large building, Rowan thought he would describe the young man waiting.

"I should warn you," the old man said seriously without turning his head. "The trainer waiting has a unique way of viewing his Pokémon." He continued conversing while leading the group down a long hallway. "I, myself, don't condone his methods, but every trainer is entitled to do and believe as he or she pleases. However...I think he may change after meeting you, Ash."

"Yeah, it's him," Ash concluded.

"So, what is there to warn us about?" Brock questioned curiously. He thought there was nothing about the mysterious trainer that sounded threatening.

"You all seem like decent children that know about Pokémon," Rowan inclined as they approached the back door. He turned the handle and opened it as he finished. "You'll understand in a minute."