"Then what do we do?" Matt asks. "If we can't save you, we can't bury mom, and we can't get anywhere because of Ramey's face, then what are we going to do?"

"I told you I could protect you but I couldn't protect me, right? I always had my children in mind in everything that I did and you two are no exception. Matt, go and find the keys to my desk. When you find them, bring them to me. I have something special that I never thought I'd have to use."

Matt nods and heads to the desk as I look at Dad with worry.

"Speaking of keys... what did that man mean? He said that I was the key to something."

"You don't need to know-"

"Dad, I'm staring at you beaten half to death as you're tied naked to a chair! I'm tired of being left in the dark! Tell me what's going on."

"I got the keys." Matt says, coming over with the keys.

"The black one is for a book on the shelves. You'll find something to help you in one of them."

"So... I have to go and play hide and seek with these books?"

"It's a black book. I had to keep them well hidden due to the circumstances. I know it seems silly but please, you'll need these."

Matt sighs and goes over to the bookcase. Dad looks at me with a tired look.

"It will keep him busy and away from her... As for you... you... you are something new."

"Something new?"

"There are people like your mother and I who produce a lot of Altered children for no reason. Well... I know my reason, but your mother was just someone who produced a lot of Altered children. At first, we did what we were told to do. We gave them to the respective sectors they were supposed to go in, sent them to the Badlands, etc. But having a child and then having to give it up consistently starts taking a toll on your mind, your heart... When Bal and Ellie were born, we were so happy. We thought that maybe things were better for us... but, then I got pregnant with you and you turned out to be a blue baby. We decided to start Tradding after you, but I couldn't let you go. You were going to be my last swell, the last child that was completely part of me. I couldn't... I just couldn't let them take you. So, I paid the hospital, the doctor, and anyone involved a hefty sum to keep your blood a secret and to keep quiet. Then we did Tradding and your mother got pregnant with Matt... or, Mark and Odysseus."

"So then Nalak was right when we told Mom that Matt was a chimaera."

"You've seen him turn into a swan, so you know that's true... But, your mother was heartbroken, realizing as well as me, that our 'curse' wasn't to be cured except by not having anymore children. She decided as well to keep Matt's blood and condition a secret and we again, paid hefty hush monies to those helping us... The problem is that it is against the law to keep an Altered person from the system. The consequences are... high."

I gulp, realizing what he meant.

"Is... is that why Nalak's parents..."

Dad nods. "That's exactly why Nalak's parents were killed. They knew that he would most likely turn into an albino and paid to have it under wraps. If he hadn't met you then he would have been given the pills to prevent him from turning for a while so he could finish his education and then would have been shipped to the Badlands upon graduation. But... that is where you come into play once more. You're not like other people."

"I know that."

"No... no... that's not what I mean. Remember when you thought that you were special and I told you that you were just another RH-, there was nothing really special about you?"