"Just nervous I guess," I say. Chase grins.

"You still haven't done it?" he asks. No shame there. I let my mouth drop open as I look at him. He just looks backwards to check the surroundings before slowly peeling out of the driveway, keeping one hand on the wheel and the other on the back of my seat. "Well?" he asks again as we go forward down the dirt road leading through the pack houses.

"No," I whisper. I look away before he can catch my gaze, but he still sees the look on my face.

"What's wrong Abbs?"

I hesitate. Should I tell him the truth? He's my brother. My twin brother.

"I'm just too worried about the whole alpha thing to even want to mate with Matt."

Chase doesn't say anything for a while, but there's a concerned look on his face. It was true after all. Through all this time of being back, I had to keep my alpha side at bay--a constant struggle of power and authority. Now, having found out that Matt is my mate, I don't think I can do what needs to be done to get my position back.

I need answers. There's only one place we go for answers--the old ruins. It is said that any question, any problem you have can be solved there. I watch as the tribe lands start to fall away and the tops of the town's building come into view.

"Well," Chase begins. "I wouldn't know what it's like to have a mate, but I know that it's special. You and Matt are designed to be together."

I scoff. "Yes, maybe to kill each other in the process." Chase looks over at me disapprovingly. It was not good to talk down about "universal" matters. If the universe set something into motion, it was meant to be--no questions asked.

"I think you should give it a go," he says. My eyes widen.

"Is my brother seriously telling me that sex is the answer?" I ask incredulously. Chase bristles.

"Well--I mean, not...yeah. Pretty much," he admits. I laugh as we pull into the grocery store parking lot. Chase gets out and opens the door for me. I smile and jump out of the car. Maybe he was right. Maybe I should just let nature takes its course. Hahaha! Hell no.

We walk into the store, the bell hanging from the ceiling letting out a high pitched chime. Joe looks up from the counter.

"Hey," he smiles. "If it isn't Chase Johnson..." and then he gives me a questioning look.

"...And my sister, Abbigail Johnson..." Chase finishes off. Joe's eyes go wide.

"Well, I'll be a jackass," he laughs. "Damn right, that there's our little Abbs!?" I smile and he runs out from behind the counter.

"Hey there uncle Joe," I grunt as he wraps me in a warm hug. The one person I could trust not to spill the beans to the rest of the tribe--Uncle Joe.

"Do us a favor and keep this on the DL?" Chase asks, and Joe lets me go as he faces Chase, grease and mustard covering his work apron.

"Absolutely," he says. "What should I call her?"

"Just Abby," Chase says. "No last name." Joe nods and gives me another hug before returning to his post. The store was more of a convenient store than it was a grocery store, but it was an easy place to go to. And when it was owned by your one and only uncle, then you got some pretty good discounts.

"So scout the store, and come back for more!" Joe calls out as we thank him and head into the jungle of aisles--the store motto still hanging in the air. Chase leads us back to the cereal.

"Coco Puffs," I say excitedly, and Chase throws them in the basket.

"You're high" he mumbles while we turn the corner into the bread aisle.

"That's what she said," I say back. He turns back to look at me with a smile.

"No seriously Abbs, what's wrong with you?"

"I don't know," I shrug, but I did know. I was yet again distracting myself from the fact that Matt was my mate.

"Hmmm," Chase continues down the aisle and throws things in my general direction. I catch them with easy and put them into the cart. We pick up all the necessary groceries and step back up to the counter where Uncle Joe sits. He looks up from his newspaper and smiles, folding it and laying it down on the counter top.

"Ready to check out?" Joe asks.

"Yes sir," Chase grins and hands the stuff over as the register beeps to confirm that the item had been scanned. After bagging our stuff and giving us an incredible discount, we wave good bye and head for the door. Chase starts to load the hummer with the white plastic bags.

"Oh, hey Abbs," Joe says behind me. He has this worried look on his face--almost a grimace.

"Yeah?"

"I was told to give you this..." he holds out a white envelope with my name written on it. I smile and thank him as he drops the letter into my out stretched hand and quickly runs back through the front door,  he was looking more nervous than the time a woman with ten kids came into the store.

The hummer roars to life, and I turn around to see Chase in the driver's seat urging me to get into the car. I stuff the envelope in the back of my jeans and run over to the passenger side of the car. Chase starts to back out as I get inside.

"In a hurry are we?" I ask. Chase doesn't bother to look at me, and I buckle my seat belt.

"I was just called back to help with some--" he stops short.

"Help with some what?" I ask. He looks over at me and has a pained look in his expression. I'm tired as hell of having to wait while he thinks of the right words to say--probably not being the whole story anyways--so I close my eyes and search through my mind for his link. It hurts, but I pull at it and get into his head. I begin to shuffle around until I reach his thoughts.

'She would never stay put if I told her... She'd want to be out there fighting as well...'

I open my eyes and stare at Chase.

"You will too tell me, and I can do whatever the hell I want!" I growl. His mouth falls open in shock.

"Did you just--"

"Yep," I say curtly.

"There are rouges invading the tribe lands," he says, my heart pounding in my chest. "Some of them from the Dark Mountain pack."

*********************

Don't forget to vote!

I recently figured out how to add pictures, so now you can see what the characters look like.

Abbigail's pic is to the right>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Check it out!

Thanks for reading xxx<3