"I...I can handle him."

"We can handle him," Adam agreed.

"No, we can't," said Laurel, a calculating look in her eyes. "The odds... we can't gamble on such a little."

Laurel looked to Reece, trying to press the idea of reason to him. Luke probably wouldn't arrive with his whole pack if he thought Sawyer was cooperating, but even a friend or two would mean bad times for Avery's pack.

Reece frowned, eyes flickering between anger and fear, and it seemed to pull him into two he couldn't hold onto his argument. With a sigh, Adam rolled his eyes but was content to follow Reece.

Sawyer, on the other hand, was harder to budge.

"You can't fight him, Sawyer," Avery said, gently holding his hand under the table. "And knowing what he meant to you, I don't want you to. But he could still gain the upper hand with you in the room. He knows you well enough to try and manipulate you."

"A second's worth of hesitation would mean all our heads," said Laurel, sending Avery a supporting nod.

Smiling at Laurel, Avery continued. "Once he discovers the lie, things can turn around really quick. But he can't make a move if he can't see all the cards on the table. He doesn't know you, Reece, left your pack. So even if he knows about the shifters, he won't know whether he'd have to fight all of them. That's why you can't be there. I'm the only one so far he can't hurt or manipulate."

Pulling on her hand, Sawyer protested. "He could try."

"No," Reece argued, giving his brother a pointed look. "Hurting Avery would make Castle an enemy. If he cares about his pack, he'll have to play ball."

Reece, Adam, and Laurel took a moment, quietly taking in each other's expressions. With barely the tiniest nod, Reece turned to Avery and gave her his classic noncommittal shrug. "We'll take a step back."

"I don't like this," Sawyer whispered, still trying to argue against the plan.

Avery smiled, her heart tugging at the anxious and yet furious smolder marring his face.

"I know," she replied softly. "But I need to do this. Please understand, this is how I fight back."

With the slightest crinkle between his eyes, something akin to lightning flashed on his face before he reeled back, hiding behind a simmering cloud. "Okay," he murmured. He searched her own expression, drinking in every flicker of emotion. "Then don't hold back."

"Avery?" Laurel laughed lightly. "She's never held back in her life. Trust me, I know."

Adam grinned, raising his cup of coffee in cheers. "So ends an era of glorious mud fights. I'll sorely miss them."

Clicking her tongue, Laurel rolled her eyes dramatically, standing up and throwing a few bills onto the table. "You and every horndog at that school. But me and Dunning have got to go."

Catching the quick flash, Avery hurriedly threw a few bills on the table and followed suit. "Right, the girls got to go."

"Hold on, hold on," Reece immediately jumped up, alarm bells ringing as he took in the odd pair. "Where are you two going together?"

"Drug deals. Prostitution. Maybe make a few bucks from our mud wrestling skills," Avery deadpanned, sending a wink at Adam.

"Girl stuff," Laurel vaguely said, seeming exasperated by Avery's wit. "We'll just be gone for a few hours. Chill."

Reece still looked suspiciously at the pair, Laurel hurriedly turning her back.

Avery shook her head with a half-smile and leaned down to give Sawyer an assuring peck. "I'll text you later," she murmured, sending him smile before jogging after Laurel.