00: The High Life 📮

Start from the beginning

"Morning sissy"

"Morning hun, I think you've gained some weight. We should tell Mrs Kane to change your diet, you've been eating too many sugary stuff" she said as she wrote something down on her notebook.

"She looks perfectly fine Vanessa, plus she's still a teen. Don't listen to your mom Princess" my dad said as he took a sip of his coffee.

"What will Mr President say, you do remember that we were invited to his house for dinner" My mother said with her eyes wide open

"...there's still about 6 weeks left Nessa" he said rolling his eyes.

"I'll leave you guys to argue. I have to go to school. 'Where we make your dreams become reality'" I said quoting the famous words said by my principal.

"Enjoy your day you two. We'll see you this afternoon" my mother said blowing us a kiss as we made our way to the car driven by Mr Padayachee.

"Good day kids, I'm Mr Steyn, Mr Padayachee is away for a few days and I will be at your service".

"..."

"I believe you're James, and you're Ada" he said offering us a huge smile.

We both nodded our heads and we were on the road in less then a second.

We reached the school gates and he dropped us off .

"I'll be here to fetch you at 15:00 Ada, when your music practice finishes" he said as he left me and my brother staring at the car as he drove off.

"I think he's...cool?" James said speaking for the first time since we got in the car

"Maybe" I shrugged, walking James to his school across the road.

●○●

"Ada, over here" Peter called me over.

Peter was my boyfriend. Yes- my boyfriend. He was the only friend I had too. My parents knew about our relationship and they approved because they know about his family history and our parents are best friends.

His dad is something huge in the parliament, I just forgot what it is.

He gave me a quick hug when he saw me enter the school premesis.

"Its movie night today, what do you think we should watch?"

"Oh Peter, the day just begun. We'll talk about it during break" I said laughing at his enthusiasm.

"We haven't done this in forever, and I missed you" he said putting his arm over my shoulder.

"Me too".

■•■

The day went pass pretty quickly with my normal routine and hanging out with the same people.

Peter was coming over in a few hours and my mom had ordered the Chef to make a full meal and some dessert since her "future son-in-law" was coming over- her words, not mine.

"Ada, your diet starts tomorrow. I will let it slip just for today cause Peter will be here any mi-"

My mom's blabbering was cut short by the door bell and I was guessing that was Peter.

I fixed my yellow sundress and went to answer the door.

"Hello Ada" he said kissing my cheek. He walked in the house and handed my mom a bouquet of white roses, and my dad a bottle of champagne.

"Thank you for allowing me to come to your house Mr and Mrs Launter"

"No problem sonny" my dad said as he took his seat at the table. James was away at a friends house for the night, as this dinner was not for kids.

***

■♤■

"For our starter, I have prepared Charred Spring Onions and Romesco"

Mrs Kane said as she walked in with a tray full of the food. She neatly placed the food in front of us and silent 'thank you's' were heard.

Peter removed his hand from my lap and placed it on the table. My mom said a prayer and everyone dug in.

There was a comfortable silence between us except for the utensils kissing the plates.

"So James, senior year next year..." my dad said trying to start a conversation.

"Ahh yes, and I've already picked a good university. I was thinking Yale"

"Excellent choice. I do hope Ada will follow in your footsteps. You are an excellent role model to her"

They started talking about me as if I was not there and I was watching the whole exchange in front of my eyes.

Someone came and collected our plates and Mrs Kane walked in with our main course.

"I present to you, Mustard-Crusted Boneless prime Rib with cream sauce"

***

"I won't lie to you sweet cheeks, dinner with your parents was awesome. I love the fact that we share the same mindset" Peter said as he walked into my bathroom to change into his pyjamas.

"Great" I said with less enthusiasm.

I followed him into the bathroom and he screamed when he saw me inside the same room as him.

"What if you saw me in my boxers?!" He whisper-yelled at me.

"Well... I am your girlfriend, and I've been your girlfriend for the past 2-3 years" I frowned.

"You cannot see me in this- state. We have to wait for our wedding night" I laughed out loud as soon as he said that.

"Don't get your 'briefs' in a twist, I just came to brush my teeth" I said.

"I'll be there in a sec, pick a movie while you wait. I just need to take a dump." He said as he ushered me out of the room.

I ended up deciding on watching 'The Princess Diaries'.

Thirty-five minutes into the movie, Peter had fallen asleep on the bed, facing the other way ofcourse.

What a day I had...

■■■

Be sure to follow me on Insta: @thee.anele