6. Nadir Kahn

Erik let me pick out and he cooked grilled lamb, roasted potatoes, sautéed green beans, and crème brulee with raspberries for my birthday supper. It looks delicious!

I hear a knock on the front door when we sit down to eat. Erik frowns, and gets up from his seat. I follow him from a few feet with my walking crane. Erik said I could use a crane instead of crutches, since I can almost stand on both feet.

He opens the door with confusion in his face. Secretly, I hoped it was the police. "Daroga!" Erik shouts in surprise and anger at the same time. "What on earth are you doing here?" He seems shocked at whatever guest is outside the door.

I peek from behind Erik. An older Persian man comes inside Erik's mansion like he owns the place. He looks at me like I'm some helpless girl.

  "Erik, since when are you taking on teenagers?" He inquires.

  "Stay out of it, Daroga." Erik tells him, and pats him on the shoulder.

I felt like in an awkward moment with both men staring at me. So, I try to keep myself out of the topic while in it. "I am Christine Daae." I introduce myself, and then I decide to scold Erik. "Erik, for shame! Yelling at the poor man as soon as he walks in." Daroga. I believe that is what Erik called him, had a pleased grin on his face.

  "My name is Nadir Kahn, or as Erik fondly calls me, Daroga." The foreign man said.

I smile. He seemed to be like my father. If only my father could find me. Maybe I could get Mr. Kahn to get me out of here.

  "Would you like something to eat, Mr. Kahn?" I say, motioning towards the food in the dining room.

He nods, gives a smug look at Erik, and sits down next to him. "Please, call me Nadir."

  "Daroga, why are you here? I thought I told you never to bother me unless absolutely necessary!" Erik says, raising his voice.

I raise my eyebrow and take a bite of lamb. This was going to get heavy. Finally, I could get to see my kidnapper angry.

  "Erik. So Nadir, how did you and Erik meet?" I ask, deciding to start a dinner conversation. Erik, who was swallowing some water, choked. Nadir looked pale. Interesting reactions.

  "Uh-"

  "We met-"

  "When I-"

  "When we were in Persia!" Both Erik and Nadir stammer.

  "Lovely. I hope you enjoy your stay, Nadir. Erik is livable most of the time. I will go and prepare your room." I finish my food, taking a sip of sparkling wine.

  "Christine, that isn't necessary. As the Daroga will not be staying--"

  "Erik, please." I stop him, "Nadir, how long will you be staying?"

  "Three weeks? Erik loves my company." He teases Erik.

Erik just rolls his eyes like this is expected. I need to get to my father and the only way I can think of is by phone. Nadir probably has one.

  "Could I convince you to stay longer?" I don't want to be alone with Erik all by myself again. At least there will be someone here to keep me company.

  "Well, then four weeks at the most." He gives a smirk to Erik. I like Nadir. He seems to enjoy teasing Erik. It's actually funny how much they hate and like each other.

  "Well, if you'll excuse me, I shall prepare your room." Almost instantly after I left, the men start bickering. I stay beside the dining door outside the room to hear what's going on.

  "Good grief, man, is she your child?" Nadir said questioningly.

No. He's not my father. Please I'm stuck here. I say to myself.

 "What? Of course not."  Erik confusedly says, "Where on earth did you come up with that foolish idea?" 

  "Well, it's not like you to take in teenagers. So what is she doing here?" He asks.

  "Well, she and I are going to get married soon." Erik answers. He actually sounded afraid of what Nadir would think about that.

Yes, Nadir, get me out of here.

  "Wait, you and her? She can't be more than sixteen. You could almost be her father!" Nadir exclaims, distressed. "Please tell me she came here of her own volition."

  "More like her older brother. Actually, she turned seventeen today, Daroga." Erik growls, "And yes, she did come here of her own violation."

Why does he have to lie? Can't he just leave my father and I alone? This man drives me crazy. I panic when I hear,

  "Good. Then you won't mind if I ask her." Nadir calls. "Christine!"

I wait a few moments before entering the room. "Yes?" I come into the room sit in a chair. Finally, I would be saved from this pit of despair. More like from my dream house, but whatever.

  "Christine, did you come here or did Erik force you to?" Nadir asks, watching every movement I make. I feel kind of edgy when I glance to the Persian's eyes.

  "I-well-" I look at Erik, whose piercing eyes give me a cold look. I want to go home so badly, and yet what will he do if I say he kidnapped me? "Yes."

  "Are you sure?" Inquires Nadir.

I simply say, "Positive." Why do I keep talking? I don't want to stay here. Do I? I ponder at the thought and forget that both men are staring at me. One man is giving me a hard look and the other is trying to find out why I'm here in the first place. I need to tell Nadir before Erik stops me...soon.