Shore

Chapter 37: Shore

shore1[shawr, shohr]
noun

the land along the edge of a sea, lake, broad river, etc.

some particular countryland, as opposed to sea or water

:a marine serving on shore.Law: the space between the ordinary high-water and low-water mark.

adjective

of, relating to, or located on land, especially land along the edge of a body of water

"I stand amid the roar

Of a surf-tormented shore,

And I hold within my hand

Grains of the golden sand —

How few! yet how they creep

Through my fingers to the deep,

While I weep — while I weep!

O God! Can I not grasp

Them with a tighter clasp?

O God! can I not save

One from the pitiless wave?

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allen Poe, "A Dream Within a Dream"

"Why are you so angry now, Ethan?"

She had asked in August when the wave of endless heat crashed down on the recreational outdoor paradise. The blistering warm air had touched all that it felt needed to be touched. I felt it in my throat, like a tainted, angry creature. It wasn't because of the blistering warmth I'd get when I moved from that bite on the flesh between my neck and my shoulder.

It was more than that.

How could she understand it? I had lost my girlfriend by the hands of my best friend who happened to completely and utterly infatuated with me.

He killed my friend from Creative Non-Fiction, and a guy whose only fault was that he was jealous of me. 

It was more than that

But Dr. SinClair, with her dark, black eyelashes, looked at me expecting an answer. I had to give it.

I said, "I'm angry because I've never been angry before, even when I needed to be."

Because we have to get angry sometimes; we have to get pissed and foaming at the mouth. There're somethings in this world where you just can't let break into you. You have break into it.

And that Incubus: the hatred, the anger, the hunger, burns in me.

I don't know, anymore.

I tried to be a good person.

A person that was there for his mom, there for his girlfriend, there for his best friend.

I tried to be the one who had all of the answers, the one who could save people, the one who could stop it. I wanted to be like the rivers outside of Kettle, Minnesota.

Safe, calm, quiet.

 I wanted to be a safe body of water.

But I fucked up.