Potent

Chapter 11: Potent

potent adjective (1)po·​tent | \ˈpō-tᵊnt \Definition of potent

(Entry 1 of 2)

1: having or wielding force, authority, or influence :

2: achieving or bringing about a particular result :

3a: chemically or medicinally effectivea potent vaccine

b: rich in a characteristic constituent

I was in the nurse's office.

It had stopped raining half-way through English IV.

I thought I could make it through class just fine but in the middle of going over 1984, I felt this raw pain in my abdomen. It flared up, all potent and raw, and I squeezed my eyes shut, my hand grabbing the edge of the two person table counter for some type of support. Grayson noticed beside me and said, "You okay?" in a sharp tone.

I opened my eyes and raised my hand quickly. My other one was against my stomach. Mrs. Lee raised her own head up and called on me when she noticed the movement.

"Yes, Ethan?"

"I don't feel well. I think I may need to see the nurse," I said quickly, hating the eyes that were suddenly on me.

She placed the book down on her desk and nodded, hand moving to point to the hall pass that was against her white board.

"Take the pass," she said with a grimace at the look that must've been on my face. I got up quickly without another word. I took the pass and felt the hard plastic in my hand as I moved to make my way out the door.

"Where do you think you are going, Mr. Clark?" She said, her glasses pushed up on her face and Grayson stopped.

I glanced at him standing up and grabbed the door handle.

"Sit back down."

He scoffed but sat back down again, face sharp with agitation. His lips twitched slightly, and she picked the book back up as I turned around and pushed the door open.

At least he had listened that time I thought as I headed out the door.

The nurse's room was a small space, all light blue walls and a long seat with paper over it for sanitary reasons, that felt too cold because the air conditioner was on all of the time.

I only had to wait a couple of minutes for the nurse to come in and check on me as I sat down on the other chair that was meant for guests.

When she did, she slipped in, a light concerned smile on her face, her hair the color of honey. She had been the school nurse since my freshmen year, so we knew each other.

"Hey, Ethan, are you okay?" She said, and I gave her a light smile. I looked up at her as she moved to the counter by the refrigerator and sat her cup of steaming coffee down on the smooth gray surface.

"I think I just need an ice pack," I admitted, my face reding a bit under her caring gaze. Her eyes dropped to my hand on my belly and she said, "Do you feel like you are going to vomit?"

Vomit.

I hated that word.

"No, ma'am. I just," I looked down at the cold white tile. I suddenly felt that telling her I hit my head was a good idea, so she'd just give me the freakin' ice pack.