680

Coughing Blood and Accepting a Loss

Ji Ling Tian nearly coughed up a mouthful of blood. 80 million taels of silver was not much? Imperial daughter Ji An had such a wide reach.

But looking at the governor and the citizens looking on from the outside, all of them had very natural looks. They did not feel that this sort of requested reparation was too unreasonable or unfair. Or perhaps to say that these people had no concept of how much 80 million taels was? They thought that it was the same as eight taels of silver?

Ji Ling Tian did not understand and could not help but ask the question in mind: “Do you know what 80 million taels of silver mean?”

Xu Jing Yuan was the first to respond: “Naturally, we know. That’s an amount that this office would never be able to earn in this lifetime.”

There were also some bolder citizens outside the court that shouted: “It’s enough to buy half of a small city!”

The people spoke all over the place, expressing their understanding of 80 million taels, and each of them was at least a bit reasonable. Ji Ling Tian heard this and found that they all understood! But since they understood, why was there no surprise about imperial daughter Ji An demanding this sort of reparation?

Seeing that Ji Ling Tian did not respond for a long time, someone from the crowd outside could no longer endure and shouted: “Hey, prefect from Lan Zhou, it shouldn’t be that you don’t want to pay, right? Or do you think that this is too much to pay? That’s not right! Your madam was able to spend 80 million taels to buy the jade. Thinking about it, your family should not be lacking in money. Why are you not accepting to pay reparations to imperial daughter Ji An?”

Ji Ling Tian understood. It turned out that this was what they were waiting for. He suppressed a feeling of disgust in his heart and had no place to vent it. At this moment, he really wanted to see what sort of look imperial daughter Ji An had. How could this sort of girl be so loved by everyone in the capital.

While criticizing her in his mind, Qing Yu spoke up, reminding him: “I forgot to say just now that these reparations are not the idea of our imperial daughter. After all, his Highness Prince Yu was also present yesterday. This girl wishes to tell lord Ji that your madam and maidservant had said some rather impertinent things to his Highness the ninth prince. They even said things about not wanting face to him. Lord Ji should rejoice. If it was not for fear of ruining Nirvana Pavilion, your madam would have been killed by his Highness the ninth prince’s whip immediately, and it would not have been unjust in the slightest. If you want to refuse to pay these reparations, that’s also fine. His Highness said that since you are an official, it can be resolved using methods for dealing with officials. Would lord Ji come with this girl to the Yu Palace after this court session has ended. Then follow his Highness the ninth prince into the palace and have his Majesty decide on the punishment of insulting a prince and imperial daughter. We’ll see if it’s the 80 million taels of banknotes that’s worth more or your madam’s head that’s worth more.”

Qing Yu was not polite in the slightest when speaking. Her words left Ji Ling Tian’s face pale, and he did not dare speak any further.

Insulting a prince was a serious crime. Moreover, the person insulted was the ninth prince. That was not just a matter of a crime. He glared at Jiang shi and Ji Xiang. Seeing that both of them had their heads lowered, he knew that Qing Yu was most likely telling the truth. He sighed in his heart and just blamed that he had doted on his wife too much in the South. Everything went her way. The South was his territory, so how could there be anyone that dared to say no to the wife of the prefect. Not only did this cause his wife to develop some bad habits, it made the servant at her side refuse even more to pay attention to the rules of the world.