Broken Legs and Broken Hearts

Depuis le début

"Thank you, Elijah." Elena whispered.

Elijah turned to face Elena, and nodded. "You're welcome, Elena."

Elena leaned forward, as far as she could. She looked into Elijah's eyes, and what she saw in them made tears well up in hers.

She lifted her hand and gently placed it on his face. She outlined his eyes, where his veins were seconds ago, and then moved to his mouth. She gazed at his mouth and then moved her eyes to his again.

"You know you asked me before, if I had found my prince?" Elena asked.

Elijah slowly nodded, not able to move his eyes away from her.

Elena moved her hand again to caress his cheeks once more. "I think I have." She whispered.

Elijah looked at her with questions in his eyes. "Who?" He whispered his voice hesitant.

Elena smiled, and leaned further to him until there was an inch between their lips. "You" She whispered, as she closed the distance between them.

Her lips gently landed on his and when she thought he wasn't going to respond, and she was going to pull back, she felt his hand running through her hair. She pulled back a little to his face full of surprise. She smiled at his expression.

She blushed at her forwardness.

"I'm sorry, Elijah. I didn't mean to kiss you." She replied, thinking by his silence he didn't want to kiss her.

Elijah placed a finger on her lips to quiet her.

"Don't apologize, Elena. You just took me by surprise."

"A good surprise or a bad surprise" Elena asked, hoping.

Elijah brought his hand up and gently caressed her cheek. "It was a pleasant surprise, Elena, but I don't think it was the right time for this."

"Why not, Elijah? I care about you."

Elijah closed his eyes in pain. "And I care about you, Elena, deeply, but..."

"But what, Elijah..." She began, but Elijah stopped her.

"Not now, Elena, when I get you out of here, we can discuss this, but right now I have got to get you out of here."

Elena nodded, her heart crumbling into a thousand pieces.

Four hours later, Elijah's blood had worked and they had made it out of the hole. Thanks to Elijah's speed, they were back at the car in record time.

"Would you like to go the hospital?" Elijah asked her calmly.

Elena looked at him, sadness in her eyes. "No, I think I'll be okay."

"Elena..."

"Just take me home, Elijah. I'm tired."

Elijah sighed, and cranked the car up and drove Elena to her house. Before they arrived, Elijah phone rang. He looked down and sighed as he answered the phone.

"Klaus..." He began. "Wait, what? She did what? I'll be right there."

Elena looked at him curiously.

Elijah looked at her and sighed. "Elena, you will have to forgive me, but I'm afraid I need to leave."

"What's the matter, Elijah?"

"Something has happened in my family, and I need to be there."

Elena nodded in understanding, and tried to fight the hurt she felt through her body.

"Elena, before you go," Elijah began, as she reached for the door handle. She felt his hand under her chin, and as soon as her head turned, she felt Elijah gently kiss her.

Elena felt her heart beat faster at the touch of his lips on hers, but then he quickly pulled away.

"Thank you for accompanying me today, and I'm terribly sorry you got hurt."

Elena was speechless as she took in his words.

"I really do care about you, Elena. I hope we will discuss this later."

Elena nodded and opened the door. She made her way to her house and turned before she entered to give one last look at the Original in the car. She was still limping from the after effects of the broken bones, but the blood would take care of that. She smiled as the car drove away, and she touched her lips in remembrance of the feel of his lips on hers.

Remember A voice replied in the darkness, and Elena turned around to see who it was, but no one was there.

"Must be in my head." She said to herself as she climbed the stairs and entered her room. She turned on the lights and found Bonnie and Caroline sitting on her bed, waiting for her.

"Hey, Elena" Caroline replied, standing up. "We need to talk."